Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.
5624692

the speedometer in my 2000 Chevy Malibu doesnt work ...

the speedometer in my 2000 Chevy Malibu doesn't work on an intermittant basis; the service shop at my Chevy dealer says it's not the speedometer itself (I've had it replaced), the instrument cluster (I've had it replaced), it's not any known wiring/connectors -- they supposedly check out, and when it goes haywire, no incident code is recorded. help!

The speedometer is part of the instrument cluster. Did you have the speed sensor changed?

How often does this happen?

Have they been able to duplicate the problem when testing?

Does the weather make a difference?

Was your replacement cluster used or new?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: The speedometer is part of the instrument cluster. Did you have the speed sensor changed? I don't know, but since they replaced something before changing the instrument cluster, I assume it was the speed sensor.

How often does this happen? after going for more than 8 months, it is now happening either daily, or every couple of days

Have they been able to duplicate the problem when testing? No; however, this morning when I took it in, the speedometer was registering zero, so I left the car running, and they were able to see that the speedomoter wasn't registering when they drove it.

Does the weather make a difference? no

Was your replacement cluster used or new? I don't know

Out of curiosity are you using Castriota Chevy on West Liberty?

Did someone hook up a tech2 immediately and take some readings? They should have done a gauge sweep test and then checked Vehicle Speed Sensor operation while it was in a failure state.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: Out of curiosity are you using Castriota Chevy on West Liberty? No, Day Chevrolet in Murrysville, and also Lifetime Automotive on Baum Blvd.

Did someone hook up a tech2 immediately and take some readings? Don't know. They should have done a gauge sweep test and then checked Vehicle Speed Sensor operation while it was in a failure state. Don't know.

For proper diagnosis, someone will need to perform a gauge sweep test and also verify the Vehicle Speed Sensor input when the fault is occuring. Without a factory scan tool I can't diagnose any further.

You need to find out the results of the above tests.

There could be a failure in the cruise control module or the PCM which is causing this problem.

You could try disconnecting the cruise control module connector to see if it is shorting out the system. It is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment:

Object Number: 409956  Size: MF