Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

need to know how to change power steering pump on a 1991 chevy lumina

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hello, If you have a motor other than the 3.1L which is what this is for, let me know. You will need to rent a pulley remover and installer from a local parts store to remove and replace the pulley on the pump. Thanks, Bob

3.1L Engines

VIN T AND V ENGINES

See Figure 6

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Power steering pump mounting-3.1L (VIN T) engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Place a drain pan under the steering pump and remove the inlet and outlet hoses at the pump with flare nut wrenches. Do not damage the hose fittings.

3. Remove the serpentine belt from the pulley by loosening the automatic belt tensioner.

4. Remove the three pump mounting bolts and the pump.

5. Remove the pump reservoir as follows.

1. Using a suitable prybar, remove the retaining clips from the reservoir.

2. Separate the reservoir from the pump.

3. Install the reservoir to the pump with a new O-ring seal and install the retaining clip. Make sure the tabs are fully engaged on the pump.

6. Remove the ump pulley using a power steering pump pulley removing tool J-25034-B or equivalent.

To install:

1. Install the reservoir and pulley to the pump.

2. Install the pump and retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

3. Install the serpentine belt and ECM heat shield.

4. Install the inlet and outlet hoses using new O-rings, if so equipped.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Fill and bleed the power steering system as outlined later in this information.

VIN M ENGINES

See Figure 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Power steering pump mounting-3.1L (VIN M) engine

2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and position it aside.

3. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the power steering pump assembly.

4. Detach the ignition control wiring harness near the pump assembly.

5. Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump assembly.

6. Unfasten the pump retaining bolts/screws.

7. Remove the pump assembly from the vehicle.

8. Remove the power steering pump pulley from the pump assembly.

9. Remove the reservoir assembly from the pump.

To install:

1. Attach the reservoir to the pump assembly.

2. Install the pulley to the pump.

3. Position the pump to the engine and secure with the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten the bolts/screws to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

4. Connect the inlet and outlet hoses to the power steering pump.

5. Attach the ignition control wiring harness at the pump assembly.

6. Install the serpentine drive belt over the power steering pump pulley.

7. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

9. Fill and bleed the power steering system.