Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

The rear door of my 2001 Chevy Tracker wont ...

Customer Question

The rear door of my 2001 Chevy Tracker won't open. How do I fix this?I replace the battery in the keyless remote and you can hear the locking system engage and disengage but I can not open the rear door.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Is it a rear side door as on a 4 door type or is it the rear end gate door like above the rear bumper?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: It is the rear end gate above the rear bumper.
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

There is a good chance that the linkage from the actuator to the latch has become unhooked somehow. This is not an uncommon problem. Once it is fixed it would be wise to safety wire it so it can't happen again. The hard part is that you are going to have to remove the trim panel to get inside the gate and see what is going on. About the best I can do to help is to send you the instructions from the GM service manual for removing the trim. I really hope this will help. They are just little push in pins, don't lose any if you can avoid it as they are not a real common size and may be difficult to find replacements for. Instructions below. I wish you luck with it. Thanks, Bob

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Tracker - 4WD

Endgate Trim Panel Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 470829  Size: SH

Remove the endgate trim panel (3) from the endgate panel by gently prying loose the plastic retainers which secure the panel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 470829  Size: SH

Install the endgate trim panel (3) to the endgate panel. Ensure that the plastic retainers are fully engaged.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Tracker - 4WD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try this as soon as I have some time on my hands and someone to help. I will let you know how it works for me. How do I rehook the linkage to the actuator? And what does the acyuator look like?
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hm, Now that is strange, for some reason they do not show a picture of it. Only of the lock cylinder and some of the linkage. I will post what it shows but don't think it can do much except maybe give you and idea of what is on the inside. But even without a picture, once you get inside it will pretty much explain itself. Just look at the linkage and maybe if needed have someone work the handle while you watch and you will figure it right out just from looking. I also see a few other things that are not shown. You may find that part of it is covered by a piece of tin when you get inside also. Sorry, it has been some time since I have had one of these apart, but I am confident once you do see it you won't have any problems.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 473522  Size: SH

1. Install the endgate lock cylinder (2) to the endgate panel. Secure the lock cylinder with the retainer (1).
  2. Install the endgate lock cylinder control rod (4) to the lock cylinder (2).
  3. Close the endgate lock cylinder control rod retainer (3).
  4. Install the endgate trim panel seal.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Tracker - 4WD