Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Have a 2002 Chevy Blazer the rear window will not open ...

Have a 2002 Chevy Blazer   the rear window will not open   can hear the noise to release whatever holds it but will not open. anything I can do to get it to open?? Thanks sorry but not familiar with tech talk on this    it just does not release from the rear deck latch and open   have no idea otherwise
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Is it an end gate or is it a lift gate? Does the window open up and the gate down or do the both open in the upward position?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: the window lifts up and tail gate goes down
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I needed. That makes it an end gate. It sounds like the linkage has become unhooked from the actuator to the latch. Not uncommon. Once it is fixed, safety wire it so it can't happen again. On some of them you can pull the top of the trim panel upward and back far enough to access and trip the latch mechanism with a long thin screw driver. If that doesn't work for you it gets harder. If you can't access it from between the window and gate by pulling the top of the panel upward and back for room then you are going to need to remove the inner trim panel. It may be that there will be some breakage of the panel because of hidden screws that go into the sides of the end gate to hold the trim in place. Those would be my only concern. But if you work at it and take your time you may be able to work the panel off. Just remember that the panel slides upward to remove, it does not pull toward you. It has plastic fingers that slide into the metal skin of the door. About the best I can do for you is send you the removal instructions from the GM service manual for the trim and hope you can manage to get it off so you can inspect the linkage. Good luck with it and thanks, Bob

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 Chevrolet Blazer - 4WD

Endgate Trim Panel Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Open the endgate.
  2. Remove the screws that retain the inside handle to the endgate.
  3. Remove the endgate inside handle from the endgate.
    Object Number: 300362  Size: SH

4. Remove the screw that retains the endgate trim panel to the endgate window latch support.
  5. Remove the screws that retain the endgate trim panel to the endgate.
  6. Remove the endgate trim panel from the endgate:
    6.1. Release the retaining clips from the upper edge and the sides of the trim panel.
    6.2. Lift the panel up in order to release the tabs along the bottom edge.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 300362  Size: SH

1. Install the endgate trim panel to the endgate.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the screws that retain the endgate trim panel to the endgate.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

3. Install the screw that retains the endgate trim panel to the endgate window latch support.

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

4. Install the endgate inside handle to the endgate.

Tighten
    Tighten the handle to 2.8 N·m (25 lb in).

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 Chevrolet Blazer - 4WD

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)