Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

HOW DO I REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH ON MY 1994 ...

Customer Question

HOW DO I REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH ON MY 1994 CHEVY S10 TRUCK?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, let me make sure i understand your question. are you wanting to replace the ign. switch {electrical part at the base of column} or the lock cylinder the part you stick the key in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: the lock cylinder...i lost the key
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also what tools do i need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please hurry
i am sorry i am going to opt out and let another expert help you. i am ahving a problem up loading pics and instruction sorry for the problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please hurry with some help!!
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate depresser that you can rent from any local parts store. Then you will need to remove the steering wheel and the lock plate top access and remove the turn signal switch. Then follow the instructions posted below. If you need help with the wheel or lock plate etc. let me know as they break it down a step at a time in the book. Thanks, Bob

1994 Vehicles

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Matchmark and remove the steering wheel.

3. Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected). For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.

4. Remove the buzzer switch assembly.

5. Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw and the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.

To install:

1. Align and install the lock cylinder set.

2. Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.

3. If necessary, install the buzzer switch assembly.

4. Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly

5. Align and install the steering wheel.

6. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.

You do not need to remove the switchall the way, just take it loose and pull it up and let it hang by the wires.

The following procedures require the use of a lockplate compressor tool such as J-23653 or equivalent.

2. Matchmark and remove the steering wheel. Please refer to the procedure earlier in this section for details.

3. Remove the shaft lock cover.

4. Push downward on the shaft lock assembly until the snapring is exposed using the shaft lock compressor tool.

5. Remove the shaft lock retaining snapring, then carefully release the tool and remove the shaft lock from the column.

6. Remove the turn signal canceling cam assembly.

7. For standard columns, remove the upper bearing spring and thrust washer.

8. For tilt columns, remove the upper bearing spring, inner race seat and inner race.

9. Move the turn signal lever upward to the "Right Turn" position.

10. Remove the access cap and disengage the multi-function lever harness connector, then grasp the lever and pull it from the column.

11. Loosen and remove the hazard knob retaining screw, then remove the screw, button, spring and knob.

12. Remove the screw and the switch actuator arm.

13. Remove the turn signal switch retaining screws, then pull the switch forward and allow it to hang from the wires. If the switch is only being removed for access to other components, this may be sufficient.

14. If the switch is being completely removed, disengage the wiring at the base of the column. Attach a length of mechanic's wire to the switch harness connector, then pull the harness through the column, leaving the mechanic's wire in place for installation purposes.

On some vehicles access to the connector may be difficult. If necessary, remove the column support bracket assembly and properly support the column, and/or remove the wiring protectors.

1. Remove the switch and wiring harness from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Use a suitable lockplate compressor tool when removing the shaft lock

To install:

1. Install the switch and wiring harness to the vehicle. If the switch was completely removed, use the length of mechanic's wire to pull the switch harness through the column, then engage the connector.

If the column support bracket or wiring protectors were removed, install them before proceeding.

1. Position the switch in the column and secure using the retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 30 inch lbs. (3.4 Nm).

2. Install the switch actuator arm and retaining screw, then tighten the screw to 20 inch lbs. (2.3 Nm).

3. Install the hazard knob assembly, then install the multi-function lever.

4. Install the thrust washer and upper bearing spring (standard columns) or the inner race, upper bearing race seat and upper bearing spring (tilt columns), as applicable.

5. Lubricate the turn signal canceling cam using a suitable synthetic grease (usually included in the service kit), then install the cam assembly.

6. Position the shaft lock and a NEW snapring, then use the lock compressor to hold the lock down while you seat the new snapring. Make sure the ring is firmly seated in the groove, then carefully release the tool.

7. Install the shaft lock cover.

8. Align and install the steering wheel.

9. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)