Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

Chevy: oil change..I cant find the oil filter nor the oil pan plug

Customer Question

I am doing an oil change for first time on my own with this chevy 2002 cav 2.2l, and I cant find the oil filter nor the oil pan plug to drain the oil.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

there were 2 very different 2.2 engines used in this model year. Does yours say ecotec on the top of the engine?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Yes it is an Ecotec and the 8th dig vin is F
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

The oil filter in the ecotec engine is a cartridge type located under a plastic cap facing upwards on the side of the engine, just under the intake manifold towards the driver's side. The cap has a 6 sided raised hex and can be turned using a 1 1/4 inch socket. the filter is part #10 in the illustration below.

Teh oil drain plug is on the very bottom of the engine, at the lowest point on the oil pan facing towards the rear of the car.

If this is helpful and answers your question, please click my accept button! Thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

I have noticed that for some reason you have not yet accepted the answer I provided for your question. Please click the accept button to complete payment of the amount you have offered for assistance; if you still require help with this question, then please let me know.... thanks!