Ok, time for a follow up on your question...
I discussed your vehicle with a Ford certified master technician in our shop, and he tells me that on older vehicles when the airbag deployed it would at the same time pop an internal fuse in the module so the module required replacement. However, he says that on a 2002 model year vehicle the module does not do this, so your present module should still be OK.
The SRS module is located under the center of the dash. If you remove the center lower trim panel, the module is located behind it.
Driver's side airbag replacement procedure:
- ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN REPAIRING AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) VEHICLE AND WHEN HANDLING AN AIR BAG MODULE. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.
- CARRY A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE WITH THE AIR BAG AND TRIM COVER POINTED AWAY FROM YOUR BODY. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.
- DO NOT SET A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE DOWN WITH THE TRIM COVER FACE DOWN. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.
- AFTER DEPLOYMENT, THE AIR BAG SURFACE CAN CONTAIN DEPOSITS OF SODIUM HYDROXIDE, A PRODUCT OF THE GAS GENERANT COMBUSTION THAT IS IRRITATING TO THE SKIN. WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTERWARDS.
- NEVER PROBE THE CONNECTORS ON THE AIR BAG MODULE. DOING SO CAN RESULT IN AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT, WHICH CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.
- AIR BAG MODULES WITH DISCOLORED OR DAMAGED TRIM COVERS MUST BE INSTALLED NEW, NOT REPAINTED.
Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute Remove the two back cover plugs from the steering wheel.Remove the two driver air bag module retaining boltsRemove the driver air bag module.
|Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.|
|2||Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector.|
|3||Remove the driver air bag module|
Passenger airbag replacement:Depower the system.Remove the instrument panel cover.Disconnect the release the passenger air bag module electrical connector pin-type retainer. Remove the boltPush in the two glove compartment door tabs and lower the door.Remove the two lower passenger air bag module retaining boltsRemove the passenger air bag assembly
I hope this is helpful and answers your question; if so, please click my accept button! Thanks!