Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Blazer: I have an electrical problem..Instrument lights

Customer Question

I have a 87' K5 Blazer. I have an electrical problem. Instrument lights do not come on. The turn signals work, brake lights work and the hazard lights work also. I am able to turn on my front headlights but only the highbeams work. I no regular tail lights and no lowbeams. Please help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

Hello!

The parking lights (tail lights), the instrument panel lights, and teh low beam headlamps all are powered up from different fuses, and all of these items are wired on separate electrical circuits. The only place all of these things comes together is at the light switch.

Assuming these things all stopped working at or around the same time, the most likely cause is a faulty headlamp switch. I wish I had a good electrical schematic and a pinout of the ehadlamp switch wiring connector to help guide you through diagnosis, but unfortunately there does not seem to be one in any of the service information I have available for this model (probably due to it's age).

What I do remember is that brown is the color for parking light wiring. First, check to make sure you have no blown fuses in the fuse block. Then, check to see if there is a brown wire at the headlamp switch plug; if there is, it should be receiving power when the headlamp switch is turned on. If not, then the headlamp switch has an internal fault.

Try replacing the headlight switch, it will quite likely correct some or all of the problems youa re experiencing!

Hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button! Thanks!