Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

how to repair electric window on Chevy Venture

the driver's side front door window will not go up. The right side works fine.
The left side just quit working.
Nothing out of the normal happened.

thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

You will need to remove the door trim and unplug the in op window motor and substitute a 12 volt test light in the wiring harness for the motor. Just connect the clamp end to one wire of the connector and the pointed end to the other wire in the connector. Then turn on the key and work the window switch. If the light comes on in both direction with the switch, the window motor is bad and will need replaced. If no light, then either the switch is bad or we have a broken wire. Thanks, Bob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll accept the answer when I get my window fixed.

thank you
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know how it goes. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bob, I really Need to Know how to remove the door trim. I didn't see any screws to get started with.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

My book only goes back to 98. They should all be similar.

Door Trim Plate Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 319753  Size: SH

1. Use the following procedure in order to remove the switch mounting plate:
    1. Use a flat-bladed tool at the rear of the switch mounting plate in order to release the clip.
    2. Lift up in order to unsnap the mounting plate from the front door trim panel.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 319756  Size: SH
  3. Unsnap the switch from the mounting plate.
  4. The panel is held in with push in plastic nail type retainers. You need to install a wide glate blade behind the trim panel to apply pressure as you pull on it. There should be screws in or arond the door handle or arm rest. If this is not like yours send me the year and I will see if I can find anything else.
  5. Document ID# XXXXX
    1998 Chevrolet Venture

Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 38778 Door Trim Pad and Garnish Clip Remover

1. Remove the front door trim plate.
    2. Remove the front door manual window regulator handle.
      Object Number: 319724  Size: SH

3. Remove the armrest screws.
    4. Feed the power controls through the door, if equipped.
    5. Use J 38778 in order to remove the door trim panel from the door.
    6. Use J 38778 in order to pry the trim panel from the door frame at the window seal.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 319724  Size: SH

1. Install the front door trim panel to the front door.
    2. Place the window seal portion of the panel over the door frame.
    3. Feed the power controls through the panel and into place, if equipped.
    4. Align the front door trim panel retainers to the holes in the door metal.
    5. Firmly press the trim panel to the door metal in order to seat the retainers.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the armrest screws.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post:

thanks Bob.

It's already fixed in less than 3 minutes.

It was a loose wire going into the switch assembly (too many bumpy roadsSmile).

If I could ask one other thing it would be greatly appreciated?

The hood won't latch down tightly . The hood release inside the car isn't stuck in the open position (as if being pulled on). Something on the latch isn't grabbing the hood as it is lowered down. I'll try lubrication. I don't know what position the latch shouldbe in to accept the hood bracket. Any thoughts would be great, and thanks again.

The AdVenturer

Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
That is good news on the window and I am happy for you, saved you some money for sure. On the latch, you can insert a screw driver into it or a flat round rod of any type, use it as a tool to replace that part of the hood that closes into the latch. Push it in to close the latch. Then have someone pull the cable while you pull and apply pressure on the latch (to open) as a substitute for the hood to see what the latch is doing. Sometimes, they just wear out and will not engage the second part of the latch. And sometimes they need to be adjusted a little higher to make them latch all the way. If you can make it latch and open right with the tool you may just need to adjust it. If you can not make it latch all the way with the substitute tool, it will need replaced. Not a hard job. just the cable and bolts and adjust to fit, maybe make a mark around the old one before removing with a colored pencil so you have a reference point when installing the new one for fit and adjustment. If you need more help just drop another note. Good luck with it and thanks. Bob