ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance

Why would radiator coolant mix with engine oil What could ...

Why would radiator coolant mix with engine oil? What could be the main reasons this would happen? When I pull the dip stick out it is really running and there is a hint of green coolant in there. Plus I have a coolant leak and it may be leaking into the oil.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-Do you notice any external coolant leaks?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: My truck is a 1991 Chevy S10 4.3L Tahoe edition. I notice an external leak underneath my truck near the oil pain. It looks as if its leaking from some bolts and some kink of seal.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Is the leak on the front side of the motor or the back? How does the truck run?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: The trucks runs good and the leak is underneath and near the back. My engine temp gauge inside keeps going up and down real fast if that helps.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
That's what I thought. Sounds like you have a bad lower intake manifold gasket. This is a common problem on these motors. This will allow both external and internal coolants on your motor. Besides a leaking freeze plug, this is about the only place that the coolant will leak externally on the back side of the motor. If you are seeing coolant in the oil and the truck is still running good, you are most likely leaking the coolant into the motor through the lower intake gaskets.
I would recommend not running the motor for long periods of time as the water in the oil will start to damage internal parts.

Let me know if you have any more questions!