ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance

WHY DOES MY FUEL PUMP START WHINE LOUD AFTER I HAVE IT ...

Customer Question

WHY DOES MY FUEL PUMP START WHINE LOUD AFTER I HAVE IT INSTALLED AFTER 6MONTHS AND THEN MY FUEL INJECTER GOES OUT? COULD THERE BE SOMETHING SHORTING THEM OUT? I CANT KEEP PAYING OVER 300.00 FOR EVERY INJECTOR THAT GOES OUT.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Hi!
What kind of Chevy do you have? Can you provide me with some more vehicle information- model, year, engine size? i can give you a little more information with that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: 94 s10 blazer 4x4 vortec engine 4.3 i think
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Ok!
If you just had a fuel pump installed, make sure the pump that was installed was a genuine GM ACDelco fuel pump. If you had an aftermarket pump installed, most likely it will make a whining noise. This has happened to me on many occasions, and we ended up replacing a lot of the loud aftermarket pumps with Delco pumps. The noise shouldn't hurt anything, but if it concerns you, have the shop that installed it look at it. They may warranty it.

As far as the injector goes, this is a common failure part on this motor. If you had it recently replaced, you shouldn't have to have it done again. There is a revised part that the shop that installed it should have installed. There's no common link, besides the fuel itself, between the pump and the injector.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
need more info? ive replaced both over 4 times each!
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Hmm... What exactly is the failure on both every time you've had to replace them?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the revised part? ive had my pump replaced 4 times in a year an a half!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: truck wont crank at all until it is exchanged with a new injector
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I mean, is the shop telling you it's an electrical or mechanical failure? Most of the time, these injectors have a mechanical failure when they go out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One guy just said he thinks it might be electrical because i told him about the pump and injectors whining and going out.But noone has given me a definite answer,they just tell me its the injectors and change'em an charge me
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i had my voltage checked and it was fine
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Wow. That's terrible!

I'll try to shed a little light on things for you.
First, like I said before, there's no electrical connection between the injector and the fuel pump. They are on two seperate circuits- injector being run by the computer, fuel pump not.
You may have an electrical problem with the injector circuit, though. The things to check would be powers going to the injectors, and to make sure there are no shorts to power on the signal side of the injectors. Ususally, neither one of these things would be problems without the vehicle having running issues. If it normally runs good, these shouldn't be a problem.

The type of gas used with this system is also very important. using a low grade gas will cause buildup on the valves of the injectors.

I guess I would tell you to check into what kind of parts are being installed into your truck. Aftermarket fuel system parts usually don't work so well. I've installed many injectors in these trucks, and I have never seen one fail like you describe. Check with the shop and see if they are installing cheap parts!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The parts that are revised that were mention eariler?what are they? I get my injector from a chevy dealership,so they are chevy parts.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Gm put out a redesigned injector for this truck. If the part was installed recently, you should have a new style installed. They have also released an injector that changes the setup from a central SFI to a MFI (multiport flexible injection) fuel system. This also addresses the injector problems. Part number for the new MFI is 12568332.
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
could my module cause my truck to whine like its wanting to crank but doesnt?i sprayed starter fluid just to get it to turn over an crank.(94 chevy blazer 4x4 4.3 vortec engine.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My truck crunk after readjusting my distributer cap and roller,but after 2days it acts as if it wants to crank,and sounds likes its cranking but goes dead.i got it to crank by using starter fluid.when it cranks it runs with a rough miss that shakes my hood,but stays crankd.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 6 years ago.
Hi!
What's your fuel pressure at with the key on?