Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how did i change the rear license plate light bulb on ...

Customer Question

how did i change the rear license plate light bulb on a 2005 malibu?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer There are 2 different ones, depending on if you have a regular sedan or an extended sedan. I am sending both, use the one that looks correct. Thanks, Bob

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Rear License Lamp Replacement (Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Remove the 3 center screws from the rear compartment lid applique.
  2. Open the rear compartment lid.
  3. From the underside of the rear compartment lid, push in the side retaining tabs to the license lamp to unseat the lamp from the rear compartment lid.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. From the outside of the rear compartment lid, carefully lift the rear compartment lid applique away from the rear compartment lid. Allow enough clearance for removal of the license lamp.
  5. Remove the license lamp.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  7. Remove the bulb/socket from the license lamp by rotating the socket counterclockwise.
  8. Remove the license lamp bulb from the socket, if required.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the license lamp bulb to the socket, if required.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. Install the license lamp socket to the license lamp by rotating the socket clockwise.
  3. Connect the electrical connector.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Carefully lift the rear compartment lid applique away from the rear compartment lid. Allow clearance for installation of the license lamp.
  5. Install the license lamp into the rear compartment lid outer panel.
  6. Close the rear compartment lid.
  7. Install the 3 center screws to the rear compartment lid applique.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Rear License Lamp Replacement (Extended Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Remove the license lamp screws.
  2. Reach into the opening in the rear bumper fascia. Rotate the license lamp forward and downward.
  3. Pull the lamp through the opening.
  4. Turn the license lamp socket counterclockwise to release the socket from the lamp housing.
  5. Remove the bulb, if required.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the bulb, if required.
  2. Install the license lamp socket to the lamp housing. Turn the socket clockwise to seat the socket.
  3. Tilt the license lamp. Insert the lamp through the opening in the rear bumper fascia.
  4. Holding the rear side of the license lamp, hand-start the license lamp screw on one side of the lamp.
  5. From the front side of the license lamp, position the lamp to the fascia. Hand-start the screw on the other side of the lamp.

Tighten
    Tighten the license lam screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu