Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1998 chevy lumina: summer weather I work fine..10-20 miles..traffic

Customer Question

I have a 1998 chevy lumina that cut off in the summer weather I work fine in the winter. I can drive any where between 10-20 miles before it cutoff in stopped traffic. It does not give a diagnostic code. Some say it may be a valve, the coil, or a sensor. I changed my wires, spark plugs & fuel filter. Please let me know if anyone had this simlar problem. thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.

If your car is cranking over and is not starting, We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. U just hook up the gauge and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. U can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gauge and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.