Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

How much does it cost to replace a steering column in a ...

Customer Question

How much does it cost to replace a steering column in a 2004 Chevy Malibu?
Submitted: 9 years ago via
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
Hi BJ Adams, The problem is going to be in locating a good column and it is going to be pricey for sure. Your best bet would be to call around to a couple salvage yards and see what kind of prices they quote you. I also think that if you could use the air bag off of your old column it may save you some money as they get big bucks just for that part new and used. If you wanted to go with a new column, you would need to call a dealer for prices and I am not even sure that they sell them as a complete unit, more of a piece at a time kind of thing. You also need to keep in mind that new or used, it may need to have the computer reprogramed when you replace it because of some of the body control systems like lights and cruise control that work through the computer and are part of the column. If you find a good used one, you may have to paint it to match what you have now and you may even want to keep your original steering wheel as well as the air bag, for color match if no other reason. If you decide you want to replace the column yourself, I can give you the proper procedure. Let me know how you would like to proceed and I will be happy yo help. Thanks, Bob
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: this isn't quite the answer I wanted, but Thanks. I was looking for more information. Thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
If you can give me what you want specifically, I would be happy to try to help, only thing I can't do is quote you prices, sorry. Please do not hit the accept button as I can always opt out of the question and maybe someone else would have what ever specific information you need. Thanks, Bob