Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

97 chevy s10: oil pump..a 4.3 vortec enging with out pulling the motor

how do ichange the oil pump i a 97 chevy s10 with a 4.3 vortec enging with out pulling the motor.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Oil Pump Removal

Object Number: 4548  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Remove the bolt that attaches the oil pump to the rear crankshaft bearing cap.
    Object Number: 4549  Size: SH
  2. Remove the oil pump driveshaft and the retainer.
  3. Separate the oil pump, driveshaft, and retainer.
  4. Discard the retainer.
  5. Oil Pan Replacement (4WD)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 11472  Size: SH
    1. Remove the oil level indicator.
    2. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands.
    3. Remove the front axle shield. Refer to Steering Linkage.
    4. Remove the front underbody shield. Refer to Steering Linkage.
    5. Remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft.
    6. Remove the front differential through bolts, and roll the differential forward. Refer to Front Driving Axle.
    7. Drain the engine oil.
    8. Disconnect the wiring harness from the bracket at the right side of the oil pan.
    9. Remove the oil cooler lines.
      Object Number: 4555  Size: SH
    10. Remove the oil filter adapter. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter Removal .
    11. Remove the starter motor. Refer to Engine Electrical.
      Object Number: 31739  Size: SH
    12. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Removal .
    Installation Procedure

Important

Any time the transmission and the oil pan are off of the engine at the same time, the transmission must be installed before the oil pan. This will allow for the proper measurement of the oil pan tolerance.

Object Number: 38481  Size: SH
    1. Install the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Installation .
      Object Number: 38496  Size: SH
    2. Use a feeler gauge to check the clearence between the three oil pan-to-transmission contact points. If the clearance exceeds 0.0254 mm (0.010 in) at any of the three points, repeat the installation steps until the clearence is within specifications.
    3. Install the starter motor. Refer to Engine Electrical.
      Object Number: 4555  Size: SH
    4. Install the oil filter adapter. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter Installation .
    5. Install the oil cooler lines.
    6. Roll the differential back into position and install the front differential through bolts. Refer to Front Driving Axle.
    7. Install the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft.
    8. Install the front underbody shield. Refer to Steering Linkage.
    9. Install the front axle shield. Refer to Steering Linkage.
    10. Lower the vehicle.
      Object Number: 11472  Size: SH
    11. Install the oil level indicator.
    12. Fill the crankcase with oil.
    13. This is for a 4WD truck so a 2WD would be less work obviously. Let me know if you need more help ok.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry. What info were you looking for? Let me know and maybe I can find it for you ok.