Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

1998 Chevy: dash lights..Headlights..lights work..fuse box

1998 Chevy Silverado Z71
The running lights and dash lights will not work, Headlights and break lights work, all fuses in the fuse box are ok.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The only thing I can see that is common to all those lights is the Dimmer Switch.

To verify that it is bad, I would first "feel it" as you turn the switch on and see if you feel anything "funny" (like it doesn't move easily or maybe too easily).

If that has no effect, you need to find the connector (on the back of the switch) and place a jumper wire across pins S & H (see diagram below). Be careful and make sure you get the right pins.

If that make the lights come on, you have verified that the problem is the switch and you can replace it, or get it replaced.

If this helps you, please click accept.

Take Care, Greg A

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
How do I remove the light/dimmer switch? also, is there a "fuseable link" that may be the cause as well?
Expert:  Greg A replied 9 years ago.

The schematic does NOT show a fusible link, so I don't think there is one in there.

Let me see if I can get diagrams that might be able to help you get the switch out.

Can you get to the back of the switch and find the connector?

If you can, remove that connector to test that it is really the switch before you try to replace it.

Expert:  Greg A replied 9 years ago.

This might help some.

Remove the instrument cluster bezel.
- Four clips across the top edge, and four clips across the bottom edge, retain the bezel.
- For vehicles equipped with tilt wheel, move the steering column to the lowest position.
- For vehicles without tilt wheel, you may have to lower the column.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp switch and the dimmer control and accessory switches.