Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

2001 Chevy Blazer: radiator..a lot under the hood to acomplish this

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Chevy Blazer and need to change the radiator. Finding I need to remove a lot under the hood to acomplish this! Is there something I am missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still need more info ok.

Radiator Replacement (4.3L)

Tools Required

J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 395873  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  2. Reposition the hose clamp to the coolant recovery reservoir.
  3. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir hose from the radiator.
    Object Number: 343920  Size: SH
  4. Using the J 38185 reposition the radiator inlet hose clamp from the radiator.
  5. Remove the radiator inlet hose from the radiator.
  6. Remove the fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement .
  7. Using the J 38185 reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp from the radiator.
  8. Remove the radiator outlet hose from the radiator.
  9. Remove the engine oil cooler lines from the radiator. Refer to Engine Oil Cooler Hose/Pipe Replacement .
  10. Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the radiator. Refer to Oil Cooler Line Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E.
    Object Number: 1363  Size: SH
  11. Remove the radiator.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 1363  Size: SH

Important: Inspect the rubber mounts before installing the radiator.

1. Install the radiator.
  2. Install the transmission oil cooler lines to the radiator. Refer to Oil Cooler Line Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E.
  3. Install the engine oil cooler line to the radiator. Refer to Engine Oil Cooler Hose/Pipe Replacement .
    Object Number: 343920  Size: SH
  4. Install the radiator outlet hose to the radiator.
  5. Using the J 38185 reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp to the radiator.
  6. Install fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement .
  7. Install the radiator inlet hose to the radiator.
  8. Using the J 38185 reposition the radiator inlet hose clamp to the radiator.
    Object Number: 395873  Size: SH
  9. Install the coolant recovery reservoir hose to the radiator.
  10. Reposition the coolant recovery reservoir hose clamp to the radiator.
  11. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .