Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

HOW DO I JUMP START MY 1999 CHEVY LUMINA LS

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Here is the answer you requested. But here are some WARNINGS first.
Batteries produce explosive gases, contain corrosive acid, and produce current high enough to cause burns. Therefore, be very careful when working near a battery! All disclaimers apply. If you are not comfortable doing this, get a qualified person to do it for you!

- Always shield your eyes
- Avoid leaning over the battery whenever possible
- Do not expose the battery to open flames or sparks
- Don't get battery electrolyte on your the skin or in your eyes.
- Do NOT make the final connection at either battery. This will avoid any sparks that could ignite gases emitted by batteries.
- Make sure the jumper cables do not have loose or missing insulation.
- Check the built-in battery hydrometer of the discharged battery (if equipped). If the hydrometer is clear or light yellow, do not jump the battery, replace it.

Follow each step of the jump starting procedure in order.

1 - Position the vehicle with the "booster" battery (the good one) so that the jumper cables will reach easily. Vehicles should NOT touch.

2 - Place the automatic transmission in PARK and set the parking brake.

3 - Turn OFF any accessories that are not needed (fans, lights, etc., - hazard flashers ON is OK, if necessary).

4 - Turn OFF the ignition switch.

5 - Attach one end of one jumper cable (usually RED) to the positive terminal of the battery in the good vehicle.

6 - Attach the other end of the RED cable to the remote positive stud.
- This "remote positive stud" is provided for jump starting in the Lumina. The stud is under a red plastic flap and is located on the right side of the accessory wiring junction block.

So now you should have the two "positives" of the vehicles connected together through the RED cable.

7 - Attach one end of the remaining jumper cable (usually BLACK) to the negative terminal of the battery in the good vehicle.

8 - The final connection is made AWAY FROM THE DISCHARGED BATTERY, to a solid engine ground, such as a ground stud (not painted), or other grounded metal bracket. There may be a spark when you make the final connection.

9 - Verify that the cables are not on or near any pulleys or fans, or other parts that move when the engine starts.

10 - Start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery. Run the engine at a moderate speed, (about 1500 RPM) for 3-5 minutes (at least).

11- Try to start the engine of the vehicle with the low battery (assuming the Lumina). If it does not start, give it a few more minutes of charge time and try again.

Once the engine is started, remove the cables is the reverse order that they were attached

A - Remove BLACK cable from engine ground first, then the other end of the BLACK cable.
B - Remove RED cable from the "remote positive stud, then the other end from the good vehicle.

Note: Do NOT let the ends of the cables touch each other (RED to BLACK) at any time, and do NOT let the RED cables touch any part of the car when either end is connected.

If you have any other questions, click replay. If this answered your question, please click ACCEPT.

Take Care,

Greg A.