Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

2001 Suburban: with a factory tow package..brake controller

I have a 2001 Suburban with a factory tow package I am trying to find the plug to install a brake controller. I am assuming that there should be one. I also don't have the owner manual with the fuse locations which would help to wire it directly. Since it has the Factory 7 pin connector in back the wires should be under the dash some place
The connector should have come with the vehicle. It's a pigtail about 2 feet long that plugs into the under dash junction block with the black cover. I believe the connector is brown and should be labeled so on the backside of the cover. Look for 6 way trailer wiring connector. If you don't have this connector contact your local Chevy dealer as they should or can get one for you. After connecting the trailer brake wiring you may have to install a fuse in the underhood fuse block to power up the circuit.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: I have the connector that is made for a chevy it came with the brake controller I also had found the jucntion box on the left side under the dash but I could not see an open connector. Adding a fuse makes sense but I don't have the owners manual to list fuse locations do you know of some online source for this. I appriciate the fast response but you haven't told me anything I didn't know yet.
The owners manual can be purchased at your local Chevy dealer or try ebay for a used one. As for the location of the fuse, check the underhood fuse box for trailer wiring or brakes in left side I believe. The fuse box cover lists all the fuses and sometimes under the big cover around the fuse box there is a pigtail wire that needs to be attached in order to supply power to the trailer wiring/accessories, etc. That trailer brake connector has to labeled on the inside of the left under dash junction block as trailer wiring . Check again and get back to me ok.