frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

Electronic spark timing bypass wire located in a 1995 chevy cheyenne?

Customer Question

where is the electronic spark timing bypass wire located in a 1995 chevy cheyenne?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 9 years ago.

This is the knock sensor. It will be on the passenger side of the block under neath the vehicle, there behind the starter. It is screwed into the block...usually at a freeze plug, ther. You will see it, it's the only thing under there behind the starter.

You can check it by hitting the block with an extension to simulate spark knock. If it is working properly, when you hit the block, the idle speed will change. The computer retards the timing to compensate for the noise.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
this did not answer my question. i am trying to set the timing and need to bypass the electronic spark system before i can.it is supposed to be a single tan with black stripe wire, but i cannot locate where it is.

Exactly where I told you it is.

This is an electronic ignition. The spark timing advance is computer controlled. The advance mechanism is the ignition module. If you disconnect it, the engine will not run at all.

The only thing that there is, to control spark timing, is the knock sensor. It has a brown wire going to it......That's it.

To set the timing on this engine is actually at 0 degrees TDC. There are actually no adjustments once it is set. Everything is computer contrpolled.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for you help, but i found it somewhere else. for your own records on this truck it is under the dash under the glove box. a tan with black stripe wire with a disconnect connection inline. it is the only one with an inline connection in that area and it is tan with black stipe.
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
Its a tan/black stripe wire taped to the lower dash support below the glove box.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: i don't know why i would pay for an answer that i answered myself. if possible i would like to keep my $9.00 in the bank for any futher questions that i may have that you can answer.
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
You dont have to accept-sorry about the delays and missunderstandings.