Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how do you reset an airbag light in a 2007 chevy suburban

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Hi Chris, The air bag is a class 2 device and must be interfaced with a class 2 scanner that is capable of running function tests on the system. That is the only way the data link references can be checked. The system actually clears itself every time the key is turned off, but on key up, the computer scans the system and detects the fault all over again and turns on the light. So in effect the only way to get the light to stay off is to repair or replace the defective component that is turning it on. A scan of the system will point you in the correct direction for making repairs. As the unit is a 2007. is it not still under factory warranty? I hate to suggest a dealer, but sometimes that is the least expensive and most prudent way to approach a problem like this. Thanks, Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I own a local installation shop in my hometown, I install aftermarket accessories such as power windows, doorlocks, alarms, remote starts, navigation, and Heated seats. In this case I've installed heated seats, in previous years when a seat was removed the airbag light would illuminate, when the seat was replaced the light would reset itself and return to its previous state. in one other instance I was working on a 1994 Toyota Supra And the same thing happened I consulted a forum for a quick fix (Reset without Diagnostic tool). I realize this isn't a Toyota and my question is basically will this system reset itself automatically if the system is returned to its original state correctly, or once its tripped it must be reset by a dealer regardless of its return. Having the dealer reset the light isn't the issue because the work I do is accually for a local GM dealership. I just need to make sure that I haven't overlooked a simple re-installation point on the vehicle- before the reset is done? Does that pin point the question a little more? I want to thank you in advance for all your assistance. Chris.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: I own a local installation shop in my hometown, I install aftermarket accessories such as power windows, doorlocks, alarms, remote starts, navigation, and Heated seats. In this case I've installed heated seats, in previous years when a seat was removed the airbag light would illuminate, when the seat was replaced the light would reset itself and return to its previous state. in one other instance I was working on a 1994 Toyota Supra And the same thing happened I consulted a forum for a quick fix (Reset without Diagnostic tool). I realize this isn't a Toyota and my question is basically will this system reset itself automatically if the system is returned to its original state correctly, or once its tripped it must be reset by a dealer regardless of its return. Having the dealer reset the light isn't the issue because the work I do is accually for a local GM dealership. I just need to make sure that I haven't overlooked a simple re-installation point on the vehicle- before the reset is done? Does that pin point the question a little more? I want to thank you in advance for all your assistance. Chris.
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Hi Chris, I had 3 paragraphs written and they went poof. Will be back in a few minutes. Dang, irks me no end. Thanks for the accept, will re write it and send another post. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: I'm new to this program so I'm learning as I go- Were you able to overlook my reply?
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Hi Chris, I had a nice book written for you, then had a power surge and it all went blip. Will see how much of it I can remember. First off, this system works similar to the ABS system. Every time you turn the key off, the code is cleared. But each time you turn the key back on the computer scans the system again and sees the failure and poof, light goes right back on and will do so until the problem is repaired. This is with out a doubt one of the most complex systems out there today. But to answer your question. Yes, if everything is returned to normal, the system should in fact reset itself. My concern would be that on returning it to factory, if you happen to disturb a connector on a wiring harness or sensor, you may not see it and you will still have a code, because the system will still pick that up as a fault. As long as everything is back to factory perimeters, it should work as it did before modifications were done. A couple of things about this system that you may be un- aware of that may or may not help. But, since you mentioned the seats you may want to take a closer look in that area as there is a system on the air bag called PPS ( passenger presence system) it is a sensor that is located in the foam of the passenger seat cushion and it senses weight when a passenger is in the seat. The other one is a SPS sensor (can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but can get it if you like) this is a hall effect type switch that is connected to the driver side outer seat track. Just thought I would throw these out there in case you want to take another look in those areas for connection problems etc. If I can help further, just drop me a note. I will be here for another half hour or so and will pick it up again in the morning. Yes, I did see your other post and you have done just fine for a new guy to the system. I compliment you. You made my job much easier than I am used to. But I will be most happy to continue if you need more help. Thanks for the accept, feedback and for using JA. Really do appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Thats basically the clerification I needed- I worked with one other guy on this job so when I get in tomorrow I'm going to double check both seats for tight connections. I just didn't want to tear back into the seat if it wasn't nessacary. I think this system is great. Thanks again for your help! I'm sure you'll hear from me in the future as I get quite a few GM vehicles. Thanks Chris.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How does this session end? just curious?
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Really enjoyed working with you on it. Drop me a note anytime. Hope you find something real simple on this unit. To end the session, you can either click on the tool bar that scrolls down where it says report and click close question, or you can just not post to it anymore and it will close it self in 24 hours. But you always have the option of going back and opening it back up again at any time in the future. I have seen people who came back a year later. Tool bar is in upper right hand corner of your original question. Thanks a lot and have a great rest of the week. Bob