Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2000 chevy cavalier: tank..leaks..all the windshield wash how can it

Customer Question

2000 chevy cavalier windshield wash tank leaks out all the windshield wash how can it be fixed? THANKS
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

Your best bet is to replace the whole tank instead of fixing it. You could try resealing it, but most of the time that is only a temporary fix. I would advise if you are going to fix it you clean the area really well and use a 2 part epoxy. If you decide to replace it here is how. I hope this helps!

Windshield Washer Solvent Container Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 639596  Size: SH

1. Remove the lid completely from the washer solvent container.
  2. Remove the left front headlight, if required, to access the top forward bolt.
  3. Remove the top forward screw.
    Object Number: 452363  Size: SH

4. Raise the vehicle.
  5. Remove the left front wheel.
  6. Remove the front fender liner.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector from the washer pump.
  8. Disconnect the hose from the washer pump.
    Object Number: 639597  Size: SH

9. Remove the screws, the push-in retainer and the washer solvent container with the air induction assembly from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 639598  Size: SH

10. Remove the screw and the air induction assembly from the washer solvent container.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 639598  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the air induction assembly onto the washer solvent container with the screw.

Tighten
    Tighten the washer solvent container screw to 3 N·m (27 lb in).

Object Number: 639597  Size: SH

2. Install the washer solvent container and the air induction assembly with the screws and the retainer.

Tighten
    Tighten the air induction assembly screws to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 452363  Size: SH

3. Connect the hose to the washer pump.
  4. Connect the electrical connector to the washer pump.
  5. Install the front fender liner.
  6. Install the left front wheel.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 639596  Size: SH

8. Install the top forward screw.

Tighten
    Tighten the top forward screw to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

9. Install the left front headlight, if removed. .
  10. Install the lid on the washer solvent container.