Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.

I have a 1998 chevy silverado and my brake lights are not ...

I have a 1998 chevy silverado and my brake lights are not working. The blinkers and the backup lights are working though. I changed the brake switch and the bulbs but still nothing. Can you please let me know what the problem may be.

The center top brake light work?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thanks. Most likley you have a bad turn signal switch.

However, before replacoing anything else...

1. As the brake pedal is applied, check the stop lamp relay for a click. The relay is in the under-hood fuse block. If no click, try a known good relay relay.

2. Check the maxi fuse, #2 in the under-hood fuse block.

3. If the fuse is OK and the relay clicks, check for 12v in and out of connector 100, pin B1, Light Blue or White wire.

4. Should have voltage on this wire with the brake applied, stop lamp relay activated.

5. If so, check for power into the turn signal switch on pin A1 (the White or Light Blue wire) with the brakes applied and out on the Green wire (pin E6) and Yellow wire (pin E7).

6. If good in but not out, replace the turn signal switch. If good power in and out, check the rear brake light socket connectors/grounds

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can u tell me where the turn signal switch would be located

The turn signal switch is the switch you use to operate the turn signals. It is located on the steering column.