frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

1985 Chevy: cam..a miss only at low RPMs in cylinders..rebuilt..rotor

I have a 1985 Chevy 350 with Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and RPM performer intake, and a crane cam. I developed a miss only at low RPM's in cylinders 2-8 a few weeks into break in period on newly rebuilt motor. I replaced rotor, cap, button, coil, ignition module, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. Motor appears to have good compression. Could an intake gasket leak, or base gasket leak cause this miss? Does not foul spark plugs.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
You could have a intake leak- but that sometimes fouls the plugs.A base gasket leak is unlikely since its only 2 cylinders at opposite ends of the engine. A vacuum leak at a port or vacuum tee into #2 or 8 could do it. Try to richen up the mixture ,cover the carb slowly or use propane .If it straigtens out you know that it's lean-carb or intake leak,it it doesn't its mechanical- a worn lobe on a cam will act the same way as a lean cylinder.You may want to check the actual lift at the valves on thoose 2 compared to a good cylinder before tearing anything down.