Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

how do you time a chevy 350 without timing marks

changed a fuel injected 1999 tahoe to carburated and cannot get in time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
What exactly can't you get into time? The distributor or cam and crank gears?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the distributor.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Put number one cylinder at top dead center on compression stroke. This can be verified by either holding your finger over the hole and aligning the crank balancer with mark at zero or remove the left valve cover and put both rocker arms fully closed for number one. Then install distributor with cap on loosely and rotor installed to know where number one is. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 so number 1 is in the left front corner of the distrib. with the distrib. fully seated. It may be off a tooth but you can make it up by turning the distrib. Now when timing this make sure you disconnect the vacum advance by plugging it off. See if that helps and let me know if you need any more info ok.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my 350 vortec engine is making a knocking sound in the bottom end,would that be due to timing or would that be due me switching from fuel injection to a carbeurator, i have done what you have said,and it hasnt worked yet.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
How many hours on this engine? Is it brand new or a rebuild? Have you checked the oil pressure and what condition is the oil in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bought truck with 128,000 miles, oil pressure is good, oil is good. Did not do this while it was fuel injected, just started a week after it was converted to carburetor.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Just out of curiosity why did you change it to carb...fuel injection is more efficient and reliable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Had a problem with computer and security on vehicle and decided to change it over
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Does it run ok but knocks or both? What intake and carb setup did you use? Are you positive that distributor is compatible with your cam and oil pump?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It runs ok but it does knock. I used a edelbrock rpm performer intake, and a 600cfm holley carb. and yes it is compatible
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It's possible you spun a bearing. Those engines for some reason once they hit 100,000 miles tend to fall apart internally. I have seen cam lobes flatten, lifters get noisy, and bearings go out at or around then. Did you ever hear it run before the conversion?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i bought the truck at 120000 miles and it didnt make any noise.it didnt make the noise until 3 and a half weeks after the conversion
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Did you horse the engine excessively or rod stretch it to the point it may have done some lower end damage? This is a stupid thought but check the spark plugs and make sure none are too long and contacting a piston or pull out the dipstick and see if it was hitting the crank (I've seen both of those scenarios). If neither are true you may be looking at a rod knock.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified