Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 2003 chevy impala

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer The Impala has 2 different motors that it could have in it. I am sending you information on both, the first one is the 3.4L version and the regulator is mounted to the fuel rail.

Document ID# XXXXX
2003 Chevrolet Impala

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 22507  Size: SH

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
  3. Remove the fuel return pipe from the fuel pressure regulator.
    Object Number: 21133  Size: SH

4. Remove the fuel pressure regulator screw.
  5. Using a shop towel to catch any spilled fuel, lift and twist the fuel pressure regulator in order to remove the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail.
  6. Remove the retainer and the spacer bracket from the fuel rail and discard.
  7. Remove the fuel pressure regulator inlet and the fuel return pipe O-rings and discard.
  8. Inspect the filter screen for contamination, if contaminated replace the fuel pressure regulator.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 21133  Size: SH

Caution: Connect the fuel return line before tightening the regulator attaching screw in order to prevent the regulator from rotating. Rotation of the regulator could damage the retainer and spacer bracket and lead to a fuel leak at the regulator inlet.

Notice:

Do not use compressed air in order to test or clean a fuel pressure regulator as damage to the fuel pressure regulator may result.
    Clean the fuel pressure regulator filter screen with gasoline if necessary.
    Do not immerse the fuel pressure regulator in a solvent bath in order to prevent damage to the fuel pressure regulator.

1. Lubricate the fuel pressure regulator inlet and the fuel return pipe O-rings with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the fuel pressure regulator inlet and the fuel return pipe O-rings.
  3. Install the fuel return pipe to the fuel pressure regulator.
  4. Install the new retainer and spacer bracket into the slot on the fuel rail.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the pressure regulator to the fuel rail.

Tighten
    Tighten the engine fuel return pipe nut to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

6. Install the fuel pressure regulator screw.

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 8.5 N·m (75 lb in).

7. Inspect and verify that the retainer and spacer bracket is engaged in the slots in the fuel rail. Grasp and pull on the regulator to ensure that the regulator is properly seated.
  8. Connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Inspect for fuel leaks with the following procedure:
    1. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    3. Turn ON the ignition.
    4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

Document ID# XXXXX
2003 Chevrolet Impala

THE NEXT ONE IS THE 3.8L MOTOR. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2003 Chevrolet Impala

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.

Object Number: 155470  Size: SH

1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
  2. Clean any dirt from the fuel pressure regulator retaining ring.
  3. Remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.
    Object Number: 12396  Size: SH

4. Remove the snap ring (7).
  5. Using a shop towel to catch any spilled fuel; lift and twist the fuel pressure regulator in order to remove the fuel pressure regulator (6) from the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  6. Remove the small regulator O-ring (2).
  7. Remove the regulator O-rings (4,5).
  8. Cover the fuel pressure regulator housing (1) to prevent contamination from entering the fuel system.

Installation Procedure

Notice:

Object Number: 12396  Size: SH

1. Install the new O-rings on the fuel pressure regulator (6), if a new fuel pressure regulator is not being installed. Lubricate the O-rings lightly with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the regulator O-rings (4,5).
  3. Install the small regulator O-ring (2).
  4. Install the fuel pressure regulator (6) in the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  5. Install the snap ring (7).
    Object Number: 155470  Size: SH

6. Install the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.
  7. Tighten the fuel fill cap.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Inspect for leaks.
    1. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.
    3. Turn ON the ignition.
    4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
  10. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

Document ID# XXXXX
2003 Chevrolet Impala