Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

Antifreeze is coming out

Customer Question

antifreeze is coming out
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.

Intake Manifold Replacement (Lower)

1. Mark the relationship of the distributor housing and rotor for proper reassembly.
  2. Remove the distributor. Refer to Distributor Replacement in Engine Electrical.
  3. Remove the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  4. Remove the heater hose at the lower intake manifold. Refer to Heater Hose Replacement in Heater, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
  5. Remove the EGR valve.
  6. Remove the valve rocker arm cover.
  7. Remove the coolant bypass hose. Refer to Bypass Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  8. Remove the fuel supply and return lines at the rear of the lower intake manifold.
  9. Remove the wiring harness and brackets.
  10. Remove the throttle cable and bracket.
  11. Remove the cruise control cable (if equipped).
  12. Remove the transmission oil level indicator tube, (if equipped). Refer to Transmission.
  13. Remove the EGR inlet tube, clamp, and bolt.
  14. Remove the PCV valve and vacuum hoses.
  15. Remove the air conditioning compressor. Refer to Compressor in Heater, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
    - Loosen the A/C compressor mounting bracket and slide forward, do not remove.
    - Lay the A/C compressor out of the way. Do not kink the air conditioning lines.
  16. Remove the power brake vacuum tube.
  17. Remove the generator rear bracket bolt, (if needed).
    Object Number: 66456  Size: SH

18. Remove the lower intake manifold.
  19. Remove the old pieces of gasket from the gasket surfaces.
  20. Remove excessive carbon buildup from inside the exhaust passages.
  21. Remove the scale and deposits from the coolant passages.
  22. Clean the EGR passage of excessive carbon deposits.
  23. Inspect the manifold for cracks, broken flanges, and gasket surface damage.
  1. Install the gaskets to the cylinder head with the port blocking plates facing the rear of the engine and This Side Up stamping facing up.
    Object Number: 26744  Size: SH

2. Install RTV to the front and the rear sealing surfaces on the block. Apply a 5 mm (3/16 in) bead of RTV GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent to the front and the rear of the block. Extend the bead 13 mm (1/2 in) up each cylinder head to seal and retain the gaskets.
    Object Number: 66456  Size: SH

3. Install the lower intake manifold to the engine. Apply sealer, GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent, to the lower intake manifold bolts.
    Object Number: 31698  Size: SH

4. Install the lower intake manifold bolts. Tighten the bolts in three steps:

Tighten

1. Tighten the bolts on the first sequence to 8 N·m (71 lb in).
    2. Tighten the bolts on the second sequence to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
    3. Tighten the bolts on the final sequence to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the wiring harness connectors and brackets.
  6. Install the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  7. Install the heater hose at the lower intake manifold. Refer to Heater Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  8. Install the coolant bypass hose. Refer to Bypass Hose Replacement in Heater, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
  9. Install the EGR valve.
  10. Install the valve rocker arm cover.
  11. Install the fuel supply and return lines at the rear of the lower intake manifold.
  12. Install the wiring harness and brackets.
  13. Install the cruise control cable (if equipped).
  14. Install the throttle cable and bracket. Refer to Accelerator Controls (Accelerator Control Cable) in Engine Controls.
  15. Install the transmission oil level indicator tube. Refer to Transmission.
  16. Install the EGR inlet tube, clamp, and bolt.
  17. Install the PCV valve and vacuum hoses.
  18. Install the power brake vacuum tube.
  19. Install the generator and the bracket bolt, (if needed).
  20. Install the air conditioning compressor and bracket. Refer to Heater, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
  21. Install the distributor. Note the relationship of the distributor housing and rotor made at disassembly. Refer to Distributor Replacement in Engine Electrical.