Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

2001 monte carlo: wiper motor..whit..plastic..cap

Customer Question

how to replace wiper motor on 2001 monte carlo and how to get off whit plastic cap.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

This info is right out of the GM service manual and should be what you need. You can get by without the special tools, a wide flat screw driver and good pair of water pump pliers should work just as well. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement

Tools Required

J 39232 Wiper Transmission Separator
J 39529 Wiper Transmission Installer

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 306506  Size: SH

1. Remove the air inlet grille panel.
  2. Disconnect the wiper transmission from the wiper motor crank arm using the J 39232 .
    Object Number: 334235  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wiper motor.
  4. Remove the screws from the wiper drive system module.
  5. Remove the wiper drive system module from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 334250  Size: SH

6. Remove the rubber boot from the wiper motor crank arm.
  7. Loosen the wiper motor crank arm screw.
  8. Tap on the wiper motor crank arm screw with a soft-faced mallet while holding up on the wiper motor crank arm until the wiper motor crank arm is loose on the wiper motor.
  9. Remove the wiper motor crank arm screw and wiper motor crank arm from the wiper motor.
    Object Number: 334255  Size: SH

10. Remove the wiper motor screws.
  11. Remove the wiper motor from the wiper drive system module.
  12. Remove the shaft seal and the water shield from the wiper motor.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 334255  Size: SH

1. Install the water shield and shaft seal on the wiper motor.
  2. Install the wiper motor onto the wiper drive system module.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the wiper motor screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the wiper motor screws to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

4. Connect the electrical connector to the wiper motor.
  5. Turn ON the ignition.
  6. Turn the wiper switch to DELAY.
  7. Turn OFF the ignition when the wiper motor is paused in the innerwipe position.
  8. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wiper motor.
    Object Number: 334250  Size: SH

9. Install the rubber boot onto the wiper motor crank arm.
  10. Install the wiper motor crank arm onto the wiper motor.
    Object Number: 512040  Size: SH

11. Measure the gap between the wiper motor crank arm and the bracket tab. If the gap is not 4-8 mm (0.157-0.314 in), remove the wiper motor crank arm and repeat the installation.
  12. Install the wiper motor crank arm screw.

Tighten
    Tighten the wiper motor crank arm screw to 16 N·m (142 lb in).

Object Number: 334235  Size: SH

13. Align the wiper drive system module onto the vehicle.
  14. Install the wiper drive system module screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the wiper drive system module screws to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 306515  Size: SH

15. Install the wiper transmission onto the wiper motor crank arm using the J 39529 .
  16. Connect the electrical connector to the wiper motor.
  17. Install the air inlet grille panel.
  18. Operate the windshield wipers and inspect for proper operation.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo