Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

Chevy: you replace front brake rotors..ton..up 4 wheel drive

Customer Question

How do you replace front brake rotors on a 1999 3/4 ton Chevy pick-upXXXXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Need to know if your truck is over or under 8600 GVW as they used 2 different set ups, depending on the weight. One regular and one like on the one ton trucks. Need to know if your rotors look like this picture. Thanks

Object Number: 468880  Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Nope,not like the picture. The truck is a K series and is under 8600 GVW. Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hi again, Thanks for the added info. That narrows it down petty well. Just remember that these get a lot of rust and corrosion build up, so sometimes they can be a little stubborn. If you need help with the pads or anything else, just let me know. I will be in and out all day but will keep checking in. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Front Brake Rotor Replacement

Notice: Any new rotor must have the protective coating removed from the friction surfaces before being placed in service. Remove the protective coating using denatured alcohol or an equivalent brake cleaner, and wipe the surface clean with clean cloths. Do not use gasoline, kerosene, or other oil base solvents which may leave an oily residue. This residue is damaging to the brake lining and is flammable.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove 2/3 of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the caliper and mounting bracket as an assembly.
  5. Hang the caliper and the mounting bracket assembly from the suspension using mechanics wire.
    Object Number: 370132  Size: SH

6. Remove the rotor.
  7. If the rotor is difficult to remove due to corrosion in the hub area use the following procedure to remove the rotor (25 series only).
    Clean all the surface areas and the threaded holes of contamination.
    Generously apply penetrating oil or the equivalent to the hub/rotor area.
    Insert (2) M10 x 1.5 bolts (jack screws) into the threaded holes of the rotor.
    Tighten both bolts evenly to force the rotor from the hub.

Installation Procedure

1. Clean all rust and contaminants from the both side of the rotor and the hub flange.

Important: If the rotor was removed using the jack screw method you must ensure that the hub flange is free of nicks or marks caused by this procedure. Remove all raised nicks or marks before installing the rotor.

Object Number: 370132  Size: SH

2. Install the rotor.
  3. Install the caliper and the mounting bracket as an assembly.
  4. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Remove the safety stands.
  6. Lower the vehicle.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD