Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how to install distributor on a 1994 z28 camaro 5.7

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hi kevman, See if this is what you need, if not let me know. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
Chevrolet Camaro

Distributor

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 11668  Size: SH

1. Inspect the distributor ventilation system for proper ventilation. Refer to Section 6E.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  4. Disconnect the cooling fans electrical connectors.
  5. Remove the left cooling fan.
  6. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  7. Remove the crankshaft balancer.
  8. Drain the engine coolant from the engine. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (5.7L VIN P) in Engine Cooling.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Remove the air intake duct.
  11. Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) connector.
  12. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses at the water pump and reposition.
  13. Disconnect the heater hoses at the water pump and throttle body.
  14. Disconnect the engine coolant sensor (ECT) electrical connector.
  15. Reposition the ignition coil and coil bracket.
  16. Remove the air pump and bracket.
  17. Remove the water pump.
  18. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  19. Remove the spark plug wire harness from the distributor.
    1. Twist the boot ½ turn before removing.
    2. Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wire from the distributor.
  20. Disconnect the distributor PCM connector.

Important: Do not allow foreign material to enter any open vacuum lines. Cap the ends as necessary.

21. Remove the distributor vacuum harness. Refer to Section 6E.
    Object Number: 11488  Size: SH

22. Remove the distributor mounting bolts.
  23. Remove the distributor. Pull the distributor forward until the coupling disengages from the end of the camshaft.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 11488  Size: SH

Important: Do not attempt to fully seat the distributor using bolts or screws. If the distributor does not seat by hand, then it is not properly aligned with the camshaft.

1. Install the distributor as follows:
    1. Rotate the crankshaft until the engine is at the number 1 cylinder TDC. The camshaft sprocket pin is at the 9 o'clock position.
    2. Rotate the distributor coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the distributor base timing mark.
    3. Rotate the coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the pin.
    4. Install the distributor.
    5. Using hand pressure, slide the distributor onto the camshaft until the distributor is fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the distributor bolts.

Tighten
      Tighten the distributor bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

2. Install the vacuum harness. Refer to Section 6E.
  3. Connect the distributor PCM connector.
  4. Install the spark plug wire harness to the distributor.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Install the water pump.
  7. Install the air pump and bracket.
  8. Position the ignition coil and coil bracket.
    Object Number: 11668  Size: SH

9. Connect the ECT sensor electrical connector.
  10. Connect the heater hoses to the water pump and throttle body.
  11. Position and connect the upper and lower radiator hoses to the water pump.
  12. Install the air intake duct. Refer to Section 6E.
  13. Connect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector.
  14. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  15. Install the crankshaft balancer.
  16. Install the accessory drive belt.
  17. Install the left cooling fan.
  18. Connect the cooling fans electrical connectors.
  19. Lower the vehicle.
  20. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the negative battery cable to 15 N·m (11 lb ft)

21. Refill the engine coolant in the engine. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (5.7L VIN P) in Engine Cooling.

Document ID# XXXXX
Chevrolet Camaro

Distributor Installation

Important

The distributor is driven by a camshaft pin that mates to one slot in the distributor driveshaft.

1. Align distributor driveshaft slot with distributor base timing mark.
  2. Rotate the engine crankshaft until number one piston is at top dead center (the intake and exhaust valves closed). The camshaft pin will be at 9 o'clock position.
    Object Number: 11488  Size: SH

3. Install the distributor. Before you insert the distributor bolts, ensure that the distributor is fully seated to the engine front cover. If the distributor is difficult to seat, check the alignment of the distributor driveshaft slot, the timing mark and the camshaft pin.
  4. Install the distributor bolts. Tighten

5. Install the ignition coil and bracket and studs. Tighten

Tighten the ignition coil studs to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 30853  Size: SH

6. Connect the distributor vacuum harness.