Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

I own a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4.3 Vortec engine....thought it ...

I own a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4.3 Vortec engine....thought it wa the fuel pump because was not getting enough pressure at the rail. Installed new fuel filter and pump, but it still wont start....Any ideas?

hello!

If your fuel pressure is too low or is bleeding down when the engine is off, remove the intake tuning valve on the top of the plenum and look down inside the intake plenum with a flashlight. If you can see any signs of liquid fuel or clean spots inside the plenum, you probably have either a faulty/ leaking fuel injector assembly, or a leak in the fuel line assembly that runs from the wall of the intake to the injector. These are both very common failures on this engine.

I hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button to complete payment of the amount you have offered for assistance.... thanks!

Steve, Service Manager
Experience: 25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
It is holding 40 lbs of pressure...any other ideas?

Normal fuel system pressure on this vehicle is 66 PSI; if you are only getting 40 psi pressure then you either have a defective fuel pressure regulator or a defective fuel pump. It is the job of the pump to build the pressure in the first place and the job of the pressure regulator to bleed off any excess pressure. THere are no other possible components that can fail to cause low fuel pressure, as l;ong as there are no leaks in the system.

You can check the regulator by going back to the tank area and using a pair of vise grips to pinch shut the fuel return line coming back to the tank from the regulator: if you cycle the key to run the pump and the pressure is still low with the return line pinched shut then the only possible cause is a faulty fuel pump. The pump should be able to build well in excess of the normal operating pressure of the engine.

It is always possible to get a defective new fuel pump, especially if it came from a discount parts store like Autozone, Advance, or Pep Boys... Discount stores buy the absolute cheapest parts they can find since they compete on price alone; often this results in poor quality parts that do not meet manufacturer's specs. If you look around you will find that very few professionals buy their parts there, even though they are cheaper. After you get several defective new parts from discount suppliers you just learn that the wasted labor and frustration is not worth using discount parts.

I would suggest trying a Delco fuel pump assembly; in our shop we have only had one or 2 defective Delco pumps for GM vehicles out of the last several hundred we have installed. Some aftermarket brands we tried had nearly a 100% failure rate...

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you So much....>Very helpfull information. I would test the fuel line with the vise grips, but it is a plastic and then into a steel pipe...lucking out here other then taking the new pump that I did buy from Advance and taking it back for a refund. I will go to the dealer and purchase a GM one today and install that. ;) I appreciate your very well instructed knowledge of this problem. ~j~
Do yourself a big favor and replace the harness at the top of the tank at the same time.Doing so will keep you from having to replace the pump again in a very short time.The harness is under $20.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I replaced it the first time...will also do it again. Thank you....so Davo..not the same as Steve..lol...
I just wanted to make sure you knew that because the terminals spread and create resistance in the fuel pump circuit causing the pump to fail earlier than it should.It would be a good idea to put dielectric grease in the connection as well.Yes I'm not Steve.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you.....
Your quite welcome good luck with your repair.