RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level

I have a chevy cobalt that wont start some ...

I have a chevy cobalt that won't start some mornings.
Go out later and it will start
A symbol on dash shows a car with a lock on it

It's common for the anti-theft system to disable the starting on these. Try leaving the, ignition key on for 10 minutes until the lamp on the dash goes out, than try starting the enigne...this is a form of the "relearn" for the anti-theft, if it works the engine will fire over, if not you will need to have the car towed to the dealer for diagnosis and programing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: The dealer put it on the diagnostic machine and found nothing.
Will the car reset itself for good ?

Hi, welcome back...has the problem continued after the 10 minute relearn?

PS. can you press ACCEPT if the above information back in April was helpful? Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: I did not read this until now, I have to wait for the car not to start. If it works will this not happen again ?

It may...these anti-theft systems are poorly designed and had various problems like this...the good news is that when it does occur, leaving the ignition key on for 10 minutes seems to do the trick. Often it doesn't occur again for a very long time... I wouldn't bother taking it to the dealer until it's to the point where you have to relearn it constantly, otherwise there diagnostic equipment will not pick up the failure. Your welcome to post back here if you have any questions about this when (or if) the problem occurs again.