RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
1100518

2003 Malibu theft system light stays on and of course ...

2003 Malibu theft system light stays on and of course car won't start until I leave key in ON position for 10 minutes. This happens about 1 in 10-20 times upon start-up, and always, it seems, when I am in a hurry to leave. I'm sure the dealership would fix it, but I hate to pay for something I didn't even know I had until it failed!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

This is a common problem among these vehicles. Leaving the ignition switch on for the 10 minutes, lets the anti-theft system relearn...commonly you will have a failed Passlock Sensor which needs to be repalced and than relearned. But in a small amount of cases the anti-theft module itself is the problem. You can attempt to repalce the sensor yourself in the steering column, but to correctly diagnose this concern you would need the dealer to scan the anti-theft system, to be sure this is the fault. But, before anything try the 30 minute relearn procedure below and see if the symptoms subside.

~Rip

graphic