Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

2001 Chevy Suburban: oil change..Transmission fluid..the fuel filter

I just bought a 2001 Chevy Suburban (5.3, 2 WD) a week ago. I took it to Jiffy Lube today and had oil change, differential fluid changed, Transmission fluid and filter changed and the fuel filter changed. However, when I was leaving the Suburban was lacking serious power. I went back and they changed out the fuel filter again. I had to get home, but the problem persists. I called and they told me to bring it back tomorrow. What can the problem be? Maybe a wrong or low fluid?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Of teh services yo9u mention ahving purchased, ity is difficult to imagine any of them having a dramatic effect on vehicle power other than the fuel filter replacement. Changing oil or differential lubricant will typically not ahve any effect on power one way or the other. Changing transmission fluid will not affect power, unless hte transmission is either slipping or is stuck in the wrong gear as a result of some sort of internal transmission problem.

This leaves the fuel filter service as the likely cause of what you are experiencing, if it is relateto the maintenance you had performed. There are a couple possibilitied: The filter could be defective (most quick lube places use really cheap filters to make more profit on the job; the replacement filter may not be able to flow enough fuel to the engine). The filter could be iunstalled backwards; the replacement filter should be marked with an arrow indicating flow direction. It is possible that if there was a lot of rust, dirt, or crud in the system that some of this material may ahve ended up in the fuel line and made it's way up to the injectors.

Of course there are other possibilities as well, such as the mechanic possibly accidentally lnocking loose a spark plug wire during the repairs, or kinking a feul line shut through improper service procedures.

You ahve to keep in mind that the guys that work at quick lube places are not usually trained technicians, and usually do not know muych about vehicles. If they were trained in vehicle diagnostics they would be working at a full service repair shop as technicians making $60,000 or more a year, not working at a quick lube place for minimum wage. So, I would suggest taking it back to let them try to identify what they may ahve done during the service to cause the problem. However, if they cann ot ind anything wrong, I would suggest taking it right from there to a dealer service department or a qualified independent repair tech nician to ahve the problem diagnosed. If it tuens out that the problem is related to the service you just had performed, ahve the repair shop document it in writing on the repair order and present the bill to the jiffy lube manager for reimbursement.

I hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button to complete payment of the amount you have offered for assistance.... thanks!

Steve, Service Manager
Experience: 25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX noticed the service engine light came on after. Could the use of synthetic fluid for the transmission be a problem? Also I believe the Suburban is real wheel drive, can the rear differential be a problem?