Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

GMC Safari van: 6cyl vortex engine has a rear door upper hatch..latch

GMC Safari van 1999 with 75000 miles, 6cyl vortex engine has a rear door upper hatch that will not release on the left side. how do I get to the latch to open it, right side releases but not the left side? I . i have tried to open it by pushing on release button with engine running. I have tried locking and unlocking then trying to open it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

If you are talking about rear cargo type doors and it sounds like you are, you will need to remove the door trim to access and inspect the latch assembly and the linkage to it. It is a little difficult to do with the door in the closed position, but if you will look at the center part of the trim that is surrounded by all the plastic, if you work at it a little, you can actually pull the center part out without removing the plastic part first. Loosen what screws you can and pry the plastic up so you can get a good hold of the center insert and it will pull out from under the plastic. It only has 4 small screws that hold it in place and they will tear through the material and do almost no damage and they will be covered by the plastic trim when put back together. Also sending R&R instructions for the latch. It may have become unhooked from the linkage. Good luck with it and yell if you need me. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 GMC Truck Safari

Rear Door Trim Panel Replacement (Cargo Doors)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the window garnish molding.
  2. Remove the screws.
    Object Number: 324180  Size: SH

3. Remove the trim panel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 324180  Size: SH

1. Install the trim panel.
  2. Install the trim panel screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the trim panel screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

3. Install the window garnish molding.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 GMC Truck Safari

1999 GMC Truck Safari

Rear Door Latch Replacement - Upper and Lower

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the trim panel.
  2. Peel the water deflector away from the door. Use a soft-surfaced scraper if needed.
  3. Remove the control rods from the remote lock.
    3.1. Pry the anchor out of the hole.
    3.2. Push the clip away from the lever.
    3.3. Pull the rod and the clip away from the lever.

Object Number: 324233  Size: SH

4. Remove the upper latch screws.
    Object Number: 324230  Size: SH

5. Remove the upper latch, if equipped.
    Object Number: 324232  Size: SH

6. Remove the upper latch and the rod from the door.
    Object Number: 324235  Size: SH

7. Remove the lower latch screws.
  8. Remove the reinforcement.
    Object Number: 324234  Size: SH

9. Remove the lower latch and the rod from the door.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the clips to the remote lock.
    Object Number: 324234  Size: SH

2. Install the lower latch and the rod to the door.
  3. Install the reinforcement.
    Object Number: 324235  Size: SH

4. Install the lower latch screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the lower latch screws to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

Object Number: 324232  Size: SH

5. Install the upper latch and the rod to the door.
    Object Number: 324230  Size: SH

6. Install the cover, if equipped.
    Object Number: 324233  Size: SH

7. Install the upper latch screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the upper latch screws to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

8. Install the control rods through the clips to the remote lock.
  9. Install the water deflector.
  10. Install the trim panel.
Document ID# XXXXX
1999 GMC Truck Safari
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: My safari is a passenger van. three rear doors. The top door is stuck on the left side.
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Dutch door style, 2 swing out and the one that swings up has the problem? Is it this style?

Object Number: 324264  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Yes, that is the door style. The one that swings up is stuck on the left side. The right side is okay, it opens. I can hear the left side working but it does not unlatch.
Ken
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hi Ken, Sorry once again you have a similar problem. Getting to the failed part. The trim around the back glass needs to come off and being closed makes it difficult. I don't have one here to look at so can't be sure if you will be able to remove it or get it lose enough for what we need without doing damage to it or not. Once again, a call you will need to make. But if you can't get if off, maybe you can get it lose enough to be able to work with. The latch could also have linkage that has come unhooked from the center pivot or actuator. (big problem on that design) I am sending instructions from GM for trim and latch removal, but keep in mind that they do the job when everything works and make no provisions for problems like you are having with the truck. So, try to get it opened up enough to see what is working and what isn't. If it's linkage related, once it is fixed you may want to safety wire the linkage retainers so it can't come apart again. If the rod is still connected to the latch end you may be able to just pull on the rod with a pair of pliers, once you can access the rod and open it that way to get the repairs done. I would really be surprised if the latch itself has failed. Have not yet seen one do that, but anything is possible, I guess. Take a look at the following diagrams and see if you can get to it by working with them. Maybe a good idea to print a copy, just in case. If you have a problem, just drop another note here and the system will notify me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Good luck with it and let me know how you progress. Thanks

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 324264  Size: SH

1. Remove the interior handle screw cover (12).
  2. Remove the screws (11).
  3. Remove the handle (10) and the escutcheon (9).
  4. Remove the garnish molding screws (3).
  5. Remove the garnish molding (2).
  6. Document ID# XXXXX
    1999 GMC Truck Safari

Liftgate Latch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 327113  Size: MH

1. Remove the liftgate garnish molding (1).
    2. Remove the control rods from the actuator lever (2).
    3. Remove the liftgate latch screws (6).
      Object Number: 327114  Size: MH

4. Remove the slide latch (4) from the liftgate.
    5. Remove the control rod from the liftgate.
    6. Remove the control rod from the liftgate latch.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 327114  Size: MH

1. Install the latch (4) with the control rod to the liftgate (3).
      Object Number: 327113  Size: MH

Important: Install the new retainers whenever the control rods are removed.

2. Install the liftgate latch screws (6).

Tighten
      Tighten the liftgate latch screws to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

3. Use the following procedure in order to install the control rods to the actuator lever (2):
      3.1. Push the actuator lever and the control rod together (2).
      3.2. Push the control rod through the hole.
    4. Install the liftgate garnish molding (1).

Document ID# XXXXX
    1999 GMC Truck Safari
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)