frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

blazer: My 2000..rattle under passenger side dash when going over bump

My 2000 chev. blazer zr2 has a rattle under passenger side dash when going over bump. Possibile from behind wheelwell. Had ball joints replaced no change.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
As with most noises,its best to here it to diagnose and to trace. You are going to have to do some of the investigating for me. Here a a few places to start looking .Tap the catylitc convertor and see if you her a rattle inside or with the exhaust. Have some one reach around and hold the hood on the passengers side and see if the noise goes away. Look at the torsion bar mount crossmember supports and see if it broken- it hard to look up in there so look carefully.Noises are hard to track down,you need some one with a good ear that can follow where the sound is coming from while you drive it to see if it could even be inside.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It sounds like it is coming from under the dash.
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
Inside rattles are still a tuff fix. You have the heater box in that area,it could be someting inside the heater box,or a a/c line transmitting the engine vibration to the evaporator core or a dash mounting bolt that is loose some where. Its tuff to tell you how to find and fix since it's like second nature. See when it occurs when driving at X rpm can be duplicated at X rpm in park.Your gong to need a second hand to start holding parts of the dash and even moving the heater controls around.Fixing noises and rattles depends on how good of a ear you have in following the sound then positioning things untill the noise goes away. Look at the engine side of the firewall and see if something is making contact between the engine and firewall.