Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

2002 Chevy Tahoe: dash lights..my head lights come on at night..fuses

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe and my dash lights do not come on when my head lights come on at night, I have a manual turn wheel switch to turn on my inside light and the dome lights and dash light come on then. I check all the fuses, could it be relay, and which one would it be
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 7 years ago.

Your problem could be a few things and the circuit would have to be tested to see where the power loss is.

There is also a dedicated fuse on the ground side of the circuit for just the dash lights. It's usually a 7.5A

The problem can be the headlamp switch, dimmer control, the circuit board on the dash cluster or any of the related wiring. The dimmer control would be a good place to start. See if you have power coming in and back out from that switch.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Tahoe head light turn on at dusks automatic at that instant the inside dash light come on, ok I can turn on the dimmer switch and the dome light, dash lights, radio light come on, so that why I think it’s a relay not come on telling the instruments lights to come on (dash lights). Under the hood is their a fuse or relay that controls all this or where is the body control module.

Thanks
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
Do the dash lights and radio lights come on with the headlights yes or no?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: (No) not at this time, but they used to. the radio and odometer light up (displays) when the head lights are off
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
So when the headlights are on everything goes out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes thats right
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
You can't see the odometer or the radio display at all?I don't mean backlighting that makes it easier to see.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i can't see the odometer ,radio ,dash lights at night but during the day when the head light are off the the digital display of the odometer and radio are on.
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
If the ILLUM fuse is good replace the headlight switch.That should correct the problem.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: i check the illum fuse it is good, i replace the headlight switch , still not working. could the problem be in the body control module?
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
Check the parking lamp fuse under the hood also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: sorry i haven't had a chance to check the fuse yet its raining, i check it this after noon.