Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

2002 Chevy Tahoe: dash lights..my head lights come on at night..fuses

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe and my dash lights do not come on when my head lights come on at night, I have a manual turn wheel switch to turn on my inside light and the dome lights and dash light come on then. I check all the fuses, could it be relay, and which one would it be

Your problem could be a few things and the circuit would have to be tested to see where the power loss is.

There is also a dedicated fuse on the ground side of the circuit for just the dash lights. It's usually a 7.5A

The problem can be the headlamp switch, dimmer control, the circuit board on the dash cluster or any of the related wiring. The dimmer control would be a good place to start. See if you have power coming in and back out from that switch.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
My Tahoe head light turn on at dusks automatic at that instant the inside dash light come on, ok I can turn on the dimmer switch and the dome light, dash lights, radio light come on, so that why I think it’s a relay not come on telling the instruments lights to come on (dash lights). Under the hood is their a fuse or relay that controls all this or where is the body control module.

Thanks
Do the dash lights and radio lights come on with the headlights yes or no?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: (No) not at this time, but they used to. the radio and odometer light up (displays) when the head lights are off
So when the headlights are on everything goes out?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
yes thats right
You can't see the odometer or the radio display at all?I don't mean backlighting that makes it easier to see.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
no i can't see the odometer ,radio ,dash lights at night but during the day when the head light are off the the digital display of the odometer and radio are on.
If the ILLUM fuse is good replace the headlight switch.That should correct the problem.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: i check the illum fuse it is good, i replace the headlight switch , still not working. could the problem be in the body control module?
Check the parking lamp fuse under the hood also.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: sorry i haven't had a chance to check the fuse yet its raining, i check it this after noon.