Bill, GM Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Undercar and Advanced Engine Specialist.GM Master Tech 6 years GM Experience

spare tire from my 2006 silverado off from the bottom of the truck?

Customer Question

How do i get my 'spare tire' from my 2006 silverado off from the bottom of the truck?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

Hello kmg2. There are spare tire tools located under the back of the passenger seat. Here are the instructions from the manual.

You will use the XXXXX XXXXXdle extensions and the wheel wrench to remove the underbody-mounted spare tire.

1. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B4

Spare Tire (Valve Stem Pointed Down)

2. A Hoist Assembly

3. B Hoist Cable

4. C Tire/Wheel Retainer

5. D Hoist Shaft

6. E Hoist End of Extension Tool

7. F Hoist Shaft Access Hole

8. G Wheel Wrench

9. H XXXXX XXXXXdle Extensions

10. J Spare Tire Lock (If equipped)

11. Open the spare tire lock cover on the bumper and use the ignition key to remove the spare tire lock (J). To remove the spare tire lock, insert the ignition key turn and pull straight out.
    Object Number: 805764  Size: B2

12. Assemble the wheel wrench (H) and the two XXXXX XXXXXdle extensions (I) as shown. Insert the hoist end (open end) (F) of the extension through the hole (G) in the rear bumper.
  13. Do not use the chiseled end of the wheel wrench.
  14. Be sure the hoist end of the extension (F) connects to the hoist shaft (E). The ribbed square end of the extension is used to lower the spare tire.
  15. Turn the wheel wrench (H) counterclockwise to lower the spare tire to the ground. Continue to turn the wheel wrench until the spare tire can be pulled out from under the vehicle.
  16. Use the wheel wrench hook which allows you to pull the hoist cable towards you to assist in reaching the spare tire.
    Tilt the tire toward the vehicle with some slack in the cable to access the tire/wheel retainer. Separate the retainer from the guide pin by sliding the retainer up the pin while pressing down on the latch.
    Once the retainer is separated from the guide pin, tilt the retainer and pull it through the center of the wheel along with the cable and guide latch.
  17. __________________________________

If my answer was helpful Please click the ACCEPT button. If you have any other questions or comments, let me know.