Sam C.
Sam C., Technician/Shop Manager
Experience:  ASE Master, L1 cert, 25 years experience domestic & import

how do you reset a check engine lite on a chevy monte carlo

the other day the sensor lite came on stating it was low on oil. got a oil change the lite went out. on today the light is back on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

Hi there,

what year monte carlo? is it the amber 'check engine light'?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
2003 chevy monte carlo
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

The best (and cheapest) way would be to head down to your local auto zone. they will scan the computer for free, and tell you what the code is.Write down the code, have them clear the light, and let me know what the code is. The light is on for a reason, the car's computer has detected a system that is out of specification. We need to find out if the problem is serious or not.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sam C.'s Post: i took the car to auto zone on lunch break the code was po4- emission problem. the worker tha did the diagnostic test stated that it could be the gas cap top or a hose
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

unfortunately you did not put the full code in your post. If the code said small leak detected code 442 it could very well be a gas cap. I would make sure the gas cap is tight, and if the code comes back try a new one.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
sam i di purchase a gas cap, but the check engine lite was not reset
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

did they clear the light? did it come back right away? If it did come back right away, I will need the full code # XXXXX proceed any further

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
they did not clear the light it remains on.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how do you clear the light
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.
they should have cleared it for you, because the easiest way to do it is to use the scan tool they were using. If the gas cap solved the problem, the light will go out after a few drives. you can also disconnect the battery for a little bit, but this does not always work and you lose all your presets and such
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how do you clear the light