GMTech77, Auto Technician
Experience:  Ase and GM certified

I have an 06 Impala and it is stuck in park. The car

Customer Question

I have an '06 Impala and it is stuck in park. The car turns on fine but I can't get the shifter to move out of park, the button on the shifter doesn't press in. Any Help!!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTech77 replied 9 years ago.
If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still cannot shift out of PARK (P), try this:

Turn the ignition key to ACCESSORY.
Apply and hold the brake pedal down until the end of Step 4.
Shift to NEUTRAL.
Start the engine and shift to the drive gear you want.
Have the vehicle fixed as soon as you can.

See if this wil work for you. If not, it may have to be towed to the dealer, there is not an overide button for the shifter for your car.
Also try wiggling and pushig the shifter forward and then try shifting it, some times that will work too.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What do you mean by 'hold down the brake until the end of step 4? I can't shift into neutral without turning the car on right?
Expert:  GMTech77 replied 9 years ago.
Turn the key to accesory, then hold the brake pedal down and see if you can shift into neutral. What you trying to do is trick the car so you can get it started. You only want to turn your ignition key to accesory, dont start it. If it will go into neutral then start the car. Hope that helps alittle. Let me know if you need more help.