Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2003 Chevy suburban: I thin k i run out of gas..pump

I have 2003 Chevy suburban ! I thin k i run out of gas ! iwent to pump bought 6 galons and put in but car does not want to start ! do I need to do anything special or it's something other than gas!

Your going to need to have the fuel pressure tested with a gauge to be sure the operating pressure is up to par, my guess is that it is not. The fuel pumps are mounted inside the gas tank and it recieves it's lubrication from the fuel, if it runs out or even real low, the pump is being driven without any lubrication and will overheat, just like the engine would if it was out of oil. Unfortunatly this is a common occurance and can be verified with a fuel pressure test.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Can I chek that or do I need to take it to a dealer ! And how hard is to replace fuel pump!

You can check it yourself, but you will need to use a high pressure gauge to test it with. The fuel injection system requires a very specific pressure to operate properly, and if it is off by just a few psi , it wont work. The tank has to be removed to replace the pump, it is mounted inside of it, care must be taken when making the electrical connections to the pump, you wouldnt want a spark in there. So,,,,it's kinda up to you if you feel comfortable with doing it.

Let me know if you have further questions.