Sam C.
Sam C., Technician/Shop Manager
Experience:  ASE Master, L1 cert, 25 years experience domestic & import

2001 Cavalier: ran..gas..there a fuel reset button on this car

My daughter ran her 2001 Cavalier out of gas and it will not start after putting gas in it. Is there a fuel reset button on this car? If so, where?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.

Hi there,

check the fuse panel underneath the left side of your dash. Inside you should see a 15 amp fuse that says something like f/p-inj. This will be your fuel pump fuse, make sure it is not burnt. If that is ok, you might have a defective fuel pump. A quick test is to turn the key to the on positon. If you listen closely near the fuel tank you should hear the pump run for a few seconds and stop. Running a car out of fuel is hard on the pump, they use the fuel to cool and lubricate it. If you need help to check the pump let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We already checked the fuse and we can definitely hear the fuel pump working when we turn the key on. That is why I thought maybe there in a fuel reset button somewhere. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately there is no such switch. if you hear the pump working we will have to do some diagnostics. The first thing I would check would be fuel pressure. It should be 53-59 psi. If it is much lower than that the vehicle will not run. If that is good, I would check the engine to make sure it has spark. Kind of unrelated to you running out of gas, but that would be the next logical step. The engine does crank over, but does not run correct?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the engine turns over fine. It just won't crank. They only put maybe 2 gallons of gas in at the most. Do you think maybe it won't pick up because of that?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 9 years ago.
two gallons should be enough to get it going. If you want to be absolutely sure you can add 2 more gallons. most cars will run as soon as you add 1 gallon, so I doubt that is the problem.