echase
echase, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto,ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck, GM Master World Class Auto, GM Master Med/Heavy Truck

where are the O2 sensors loacated on a Chevy S10 ...

where are the O2 sensors loacated on a Chevy S10 pickup 2-dr 4 cyl
bank 1, sensor 2?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  echase replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

The o2 sensors are located in the exhaust pipe. The one you are looking for is the post cat sensor. The sensor furthest back in the pipe after the catalytic converter. Thanks for using JA and remember if I have helped please click accept!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you be more specific? From what info I've been able to see, I thought bank1 sensor 2 was in front of the catalytic converter not after.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Diagram/picture would help.
Expert:  echase replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

What year is your chevy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2001
Expert:  echase replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Here are the service procedures for replacing both of the o2 sensors on your veh. And on this veh with a 4cyl you only have one bank and 2 sensors so bank 1 sensor 1 is pre cat in the manifold and bank 1 sensor 2 is post cat in the pipe and no matter what gm veh you are working on sensor 1 is always pre cat and sensor 2 is always post cat. Thanks for using JA and remember if I have helped please click accept!

Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Tools Required

J 29533-A Oxygen Sensor Wrench

Removal Procedure

Notice: The Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) and the Oxygen Sensor use a permanently attached pigtail and connector. Do not remove this pigtail from the Heated Oxygen Sensor. Damage or the removal of the pigtail or the connector could affect the proper operation of the sensor.Take care when handling the HO2S and the O2S. Keep the in-line electrical connector and the louvered end free of grease, dirt, or other contaminants. Also avoid using cleaning solvents of any type. Do not drop the HO2S or the O2S. Do not roughly handle the HO2S or the O2S.

When the engine temperature is below 48°C (120°F), the oxygen sensor (O2S) may be difficult to remove. Excessive force may damage the threads in the exhaust manifold or the exhaust pipe.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

Caution: To avoid any vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when major components are removed from the vehicle and the vehicle is supported by a hoist, support the vehicle with jack stands at the opposite end from which the components are being removed and strap the vehicle to the hoist.

2. Raise the vehicle.
    Object Number: 638792  Size: SH

3. Remove the electrical connector.
    Object Number: 639630  Size: SH

4. Carefully back out the oxygen sensor and seal using the J 29533-A

Installation Procedure

Important: A special anti-seize compound is used on the oxygen sensor (O2S) threads. The compound consists of liquid graphite and glass beads. The graphite tends to burn away, but the glass beads remain making the sensor easier to remove. New or service replacement sensors already have the compound applied to the threads. If the sensor is removed from an engine and if for any reason the sensor is to be reinstalled, the threads must have anti-seize compound applied before the reinstallation.

Object Number: 639630  Size: SH

1. Coat the threads of the oxygen sensor with the anti-seize compound if necessary.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the sensor and seal.

Tighten

Tighten the sensor to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 638792  Size: SH

3. Install the electrical connector.
  4. Lower the vehicle.

2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 2WD

Heated Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Tools Required

J 29533-A HO2S Removal Tool

Removal Procedure

When the engine temperature is below 48°C (120°F), the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) may be difficult to remove. Excessive force may damage the threads in the exhaust manifold or the exhaust pipe.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    Object Number: 10975  Size: SH

Notice: The use of excessive force may damage the threads in the exhaust manifold/pipe.

4. Carefully remove the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) using J 29533-A

Installation Procedure

Important: A special anti-seize compound is used on the HO2S threads. The compound consists of liquid graphite and glass beads. The graphite tends to burn away, but the glass beads remain, making the sensor easier to remove. New, or service replacement sensors already have the compound applied to the threads. If the sensor is removed from an engine and if for any reason the sensor is to be reinstalled, the threads must have anti-seize compound applied before the reinstallation.

Object Number: 10975  Size: SH

1. Coat the threads of the heated oxygen sensor with anti-seize compound if necessary.

2. Install the sensor

Tighten

3. Connect the HO2S 2 electrical connector.
  4. Lower the vehicle.

2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 2WD

echase, Auto Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto,ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck, GM Master World Class Auto, GM Master Med/Heavy Truck