Bart
Bart, GM Master tech
Experience:  20 Years Gm Auto Tech All current gm training GM Master tech ASE Master tech All electrical problems
3947665

how to replace rear rotors on 2004 avalanche

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bart replied 7 years ago.
No problem The rotors can be pull off after you remove the brake calipers Remove the two 18mm bolts from the caliper brackets and pull caliper off and set aside If rotors have never been off before there are two clips on wheel studs I pull them off with dikes cutting plyiers and discard Now if rotors are rusted on it gets tricky you need to wack front of rotor with big hammer to loosen up Now if rotor is loose and still won,t come off thats because the emercancy bkake shoes have worn in to the inside of the rotor which means there is a problem Try turning rotor as you pull off if you still have a problem i will need to lead you though it
Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD

Rear Brake Rotor Replacement (W/NYS)

Tools Required

J 41013 Rotor Resurfacing Kit
J 42450-A Wheel Hub Resurfacing Kit

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Notice: Any new rotor must have the protective coating removed from the friction surfaces before being placed in service. Remove the protective coating using denatured alcohol or an equivalent brake cleaner, and wipe the surface clean with clean cloths. Do not use gasoline, kerosene, or other oil base solvents which may leave an oily residue. This residue is damaging to the brake lining and is flammable.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 913551  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Release the park brake.
  2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  4. Mark the relationship of the rotor to the hub.
  5. Install a C-clamp over the body of the brake caliper, with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and the outboard disc brake pad.
  6. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed into the caliper bores enough to remove the caliper from the pads.
  7. Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.
    Object Number: 791619  Size: SH
  8. Remove the nut and the bolt from the quarter shaft shield.
  9. Remove the shield.
    Object Number: 789156  Size: SH
  10. Remove the 2 brake caliper bracket mounting bolts.
  11. Mark the relationship of the rotor to the hub.

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

12. Remove the brake caliper and brake caliper mounting bracket as an assembly and support with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  13. Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable.
  14. It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub.
    Object Number: 686151  Size: SH
  15. Remove the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle.

Installation Procedure

Important: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the hub/axle flange, any rust or contaminants should be cleaned from the hub/axle flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in excessive assembled lateral runout (LRO) of the brake rotor, which could lead to brake pulsation.

1. Use the J 42450-A to clean all rust and contaminants from the mating surface of the hub flange.
  2. Use the J 41013 to clean all rust and contaminants from the inside diameter of the hat section of the brake rotor to prevent any foreign material from getting between the brake rotor and the hub flange.
  3. Inspect the mating surfaces of the hub/axle flange and the rotor to ensure that there are no foreign particles or debris remaining.
  4. Align the rotor to its original position on the hub, if applicable.
    Object Number: 686151  Size: SH
  5. Install the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle.
  6. If the brake rotor was removed and installed as part of a brake system repair, measure the assembled lateral runout (LRO) of the brake rotor to ensure optimum performance of the disc brakes. Refer to Brake Rotor Assembled Lateral Runout Measurement .
  7. If the brake rotor assembled LRO measurement exceeds the specification, bring the LRO to within specifications. Refer to Brake Rotor Assembled Lateral Runout Correction .
  8. Install the brake caliper and the brake caliper mounting bracket as an assembly to the vehicle.
  9. Perform the following procedure before installing the 2 brake caliper bracket mounting bolts.
    9.1. Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
    9.2. Clean the threads of the bolts with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
    9.3. Apply Threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) to the threads of the bolts.

Object Number: 789156  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

10. Install the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 200 N·m (148 lb ft).

Object Number: 791619  Size: SH
  11. Install the quarter shaft shield.
  12. Install the quarter shaft shield nut and the bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the quarter shaft shield nut and the bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

13. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. With the engine OFF gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of it's travel distance.
  16. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  17. Wait 15 seconds then repeat steps 15-16 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.

Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD