Bart
Bart, GM Master tech
Experience:  20 Years Gm Auto Tech All current gm training GM Master tech ASE Master tech All electrical problems

I need the timing marks for a 91 lumina 3.1L

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bart replied 7 years ago.
When you say timing marks do you mean cam gears or balancer mark This should be no problem as alldata has pictures that i can forward to you
Bart, GM Master tech
Experience: 20 Years Gm Auto Tech All current gm training GM Master tech ASE Master tech All electrical problems
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
balencer marks so i can ajust the timing. i am replcingthe timing chain do to slack it jumped time and wont start.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well so do you have a diagram so i can refference it.
Expert:  Bart replied 7 years ago.
I am working on pulling up diagram The worst would be that i need to copy from book i should be able to give you all info but might be monday night Please be patient and i will get all info to you
ALLDATA OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

BRANDOW CHEVROLET

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference
Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

1992 Chevrolet Lumina V6-191 3.1L

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Timing Chain Service and Repair Timing Chain Replacement Hints and Tips
Timing Chain Replacement Hints and Tips
Notes

TIMING CHAIN REPLACEMENT HINTS AND TIPS

- Always replace both the timing chain and sprocket as a combined unit.
  • A worn timing chain will not properly fit the teeth of a new sprocket and will result in a premature failure.
  • A new timing chain will rapidly wear away the teeth of an old sprocket.
- Check ignition timing before (if possible) and after the procedure. This will help you verify the job was done properly. A timing chain which is off just one tooth will significantly alter the ignition timing.

NOTE: Since the drive belt will need to be removed during this procedure, it is important to note any related deficiencies prior to starting the procedure.

-Inspect the water pump for signs of leakage and inspect the pulley for any looseness or wobble. If any wobble is detected the water pump should be replaced.
-Inspect the drive belts and replace if necessary.
-Inspect the drive belt idler pulleys for looseness and wobble. Replace any pulley which does not spin freely or has any wobble.
-Inspect the cooling fan clutch for proper operation.
  • Under cold conditions the clutch should be disengaged, allowing the fan to spin freely.
  • Under hot conditions the clutch should tighten up, coupling the fan to the water pump pulley/shaft.
- Rotate the engine to number 1 Top Dead Center prior to removing the timing chain.
- Do not turn the crankshaft or camshaft with the pulleys off. Using slip joint pliers or pipe wrenches to turn the crankshaft will damage the surface and affect the press fit of the pulley.
- Oil pan removal is required to remove the timing cover. Bolts from the oil pan extend through the bottom of the timing cover. Removing the bolts and loosening the remaining pan bolts to remove the timing cover will tend to cause oil leakage from the pan gasket.

NOTE: To prevent leakage, when the oil pan is removed or the bolts are loosened, the gasket should always be replaced.

- When tightening the oil pan bolts always use a torque wrench. Correct sealing requires the gasket to be evenly torqued across its entire sealing surface.
- Silicone sealant should be used very sparingly. Excessive sealant which squeezes out on the inside of the gasket can accumulate and restrict the oil pump pickup screen or the coolant heater core.

WHEN INSTALLING THE TIMING CHAIN

1. Place the new sprockets on the camshaft and crankshaft and align the timing marks, then remove the new sprockets.
  2. Lay the timing chain and sprockets flat on a work bench and assemble them with the timing marks on the sprockets properly aligned.
  3. Pick up the chain and sprocket assembly, retaining the correct sprocket relationship, and simultaneously slip them over the crankshaft and camshaft. NOTE: The new timing chain will not have enough slack in it to allow you to slip it over both sprockets while installed on the vehicle.

BRANDOW CHEVROLET

Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

1992 Chevrolet Lumina V6-191 3.1L

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Timing Chain Service and Repair Timing Chain Replacement
Timing Chain Replacement
Notes

TIMING CHAIN AND SPROCKET

TIMING CHAIN ALIGNMENT MARKS 3.1L

REMOVAL

1. Remove timing cover. Refer to Timing Cover / Service and Repair.
  2. Position No. 1 piston at TDC with marks on camshaft and crankshaft sprockets aligned, (#1 firing position).
  3. Remove camshaft sprocket and chain. If sprocket does not come off easily, a light blow on lower edge of sprocket should dislodge it.
  4. Remove crankshaft sprocket and chain. NOTE: If the sprocket does not come off easily, a light blow on the lower edge of the sprocket (with a plastic mallet) should dislodge the sprocket.
  5. Remove timing chain damper assembly bolts and damper.
  6. Crankshaft sprocket.
  7. Timing chain damper assembly bolts and damper. Clean
    • Timing chain
    • Sprockets

Inspect

• All components for wear and/or damage.

TIMING CHAIN ALIGNMENT MARKS 3.1L

Install or Connect

1. Timing chain damper assembly and bolts. Tighten
    • Damper bolts to 21 N.m (15 lb. ft.).
  1. Crankshaft sprocket.
  2. Apply GM EOS p/fl(NNN) NNN-NNNN(or equivalent) to the sprocket thrust surface.
4Hold the sprocket with the chain hanging down and align the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets. Refer to Figure 25.
  1. Align dowel in camshaft with dowel hole in camshaft sprocket.
  2. Draw the camshaft sprocket onto camshaft using the mounting bolts. Tighten
    • Camshaft sprocket mounting bolts to 25 N~m (18 lb. ft.).
  1. Lubricate timing chain with engine oil.
  2. Front cover. Refer to "Front Cover" in this section.

© 2007 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

ALIGNMENT MARKS 3.1L

Terms of Use
ALIGNMENT MARKS 3.1L
I am having a problem sending picture will foward monday night sorry
Expert:  Bart replied 7 years ago.
Hey Jessica check into it and after you replace chain and gears the timing is control by the ECM no adjustment just make sure distributor in corect position and if you need any help just ask Bart