Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

I need to know procedure for changing oil cooling lines on ...

I need to know procedure for changing oil cooling lines on a 1998 chevy astro van. Specifically do I need to drain oil before?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

No real need to drain the oil. You are going to get some dripping no matter how you go about it, because it is going to be in the cooler lines and some will come out of the filter adapter when you disconnect them.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Astro

Engine Oil Cooler Hose/Pipe Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: In order to avoid being burned, do not service the engine while it is still hot. Service the engine when it is cool.

Object Number: 48326  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the oil cooler lines from the oil filter adapter assembly.
    Object Number: 48327  Size: SH

2. Remove the oil cooler line to engine clip bolt.
  3. Remove the oil cooler lines from the engine clip.
    Object Number: 71130  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the oil cooler lines from the radiator connector fitting.
    - Use a small pick-type tool or a screwdriver to release one of the open ends of the retaining clip from the connector fitting.
    - Discard the clips.
  5. Clean all of the components with a suitable solvent. Dry the components with compressed air.
  6. Inspect the following for damage or distortion:
    - The connector fittings
    - The connectors
    - The engine oil cooler lines

Installation Procedure

Notice: Do not reuse the existing retaining clips removed from the cooler line connector fittings. The retaining clips being put into the cooler line connector fittings must be new.

Notice: Make sure the retaining clip engages all three slots in the connector fittings. Failure to properly install the connector clips could cause the cooler lines to come loose and cause damage to the engine and/or the transmission.

Object Number: 71131  Size: SH

1. Install the new retaining clips into the radiator connector fittings.
    1. Using your thumb and forefinger, insert a new retaining clip into one of the three recesses in the connector fitting.
    2. With one end of the retaining clip engaged in the connector fitting slot, use your thumb to rotate the retaining clip around the connector fitting.
    3. Snap the clip into place in the connector fitting.
  2. Connect the engine oil cooler lines to the connector fittings.
    - Verify that a click is heard or felt.
    - Pull back sharply on the cooler lines in order to assure that the line fastens into the connector fittings.

Object Number: 48327  Size: SH

3. Connect the engine oil cooler lines to the engine clip.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the engine clip bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the engine clip bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 48326  Size: SH

5. Install the engine oil cooler lines to the oil filter adapter assembly.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil cooler lines to oil filter adapter assembly bolt to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

6. Start engine. Check oil cooler lines for leaks.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Astro

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)