Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

2005 GMC Yukon: the oil every 3,000 miles..oil change..mileage

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon and have been changing the oil every 3,000 miles. On the evening news last week there was a spot that said the recommeded oil change mileage had recently been increased because of the newer type oils. If that is correct, what is your recommendation?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

According to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle (located in the back of your owner's manual, if you wish to see a copy), the recommended oil change interval for your yukon is every 7500 miles under normal driving conditions.

Under conditions which the manufacturer defines as "severe service", the recommended change interval is every 3,000 miles. In general, sever service is defined as trailer towing, extended high speed operation, routine periods of extended idling (such as for a delivery vehicle), frequent short trips which result in the engine not warming up completely, or routine operation in extreme temperatures.

In addition, your vehicle has a maintenance monitoring system which calculates when service is due depending on how your vehicle is operated. For example, if your vehicle is operated for rfrequent short trips, or at extended periods of high speeds, the computer would track this and turn on the oil change reminder indicator on the instrument panel to let you know when the oil should be about worn out.

You are doing no harm by changing your oil more frequently than might be required, so you may wish to continue doing so. If you would like to go a little longer between oil changes, this should not hurt anything either, as long as you have the vehicle serviced either when the oil change reminder comes on, or within 7500 miles.

Hope this is helpful; if so, pleae click my accept button! Thanks!

______________________________

SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
When the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" light comes on, it means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the engine oil life system is ever reset accidentally, you must service your vehicle within 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since your last service. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed. Refer to Engine Oil Life System for information on the engine Oil Life System and resetting the system.

When the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" light appears, certain services, checks and inspections are required. Required services are described in the following for "Maintenance I" and "Maintenance II." Generally, it is recommended that your first service be Maintenance I, your second service be Maintenance II and that you alternate Maintenance I and Maintenance II thereafter. However, in some cases, Maintenance II may be required more often.

MAINTENANCE I

1.CHANGE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER. Reset oil life system. Refer to Engine Oil Life System. An Emission Control Service.
2.LUBRICATE THE CHASSIS COMPONENTS. Lubricate the suspension, steering linkage, transaxle shift linkage and the underbody contact points and linkage.
3.VISUALLY CHECK FOR ANY LEAKS OR DAMAGE. A fluid loss in any vehicle system could indicate a problem. Have the system inspected and repaired and the fluid level checked. Add fluid if needed.
4.ROTATE tires AND CHECK INFLATION PRESSURES AND WEAR.
5.INSPECT BRAKE SYSTEM. Visually inspect brake lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. Inspect disc brake pads for wear and rotors for surface condition. Inspect other brake parts, including calipers, parking brake, etc.
6.CHECK ENGINE COOLANT AND WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID LEVELS AND ADD FLUID AS NEEDED.
7.PERFORM ANY NEEDED ADDITIONAL SERVICES.

MAINTENANCE II

4.INSPECT ENGINE AIR CLEANER FILTER. If necessary, replace filter. An Emission Control Service. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that the failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emission warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.
5.ROTATE tires AND CHECK INFLATION PRESSURES AND WEAR.
6.INSPECT BRAKE SYSTEM. Visually inspect brake lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. Inspect disc brake pads for wear and rotors for surface condition. Inspect other brake parts, including calipers, parking brake, etc.
7.CHECK ENGINE COOLANT AND WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID LEVELS AND ADD FLUID AS NEEDED.
8.PERFORM ANY NEEDED ADDITIONAL SERVICES. Refer to Additional Required Services.
9.INSPECT SUSPENSION AND STEERING COMPONENTS. Visually inspect front and rear suspension and steering system for damaged, loose or missing parts or signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc.
10.INSPECT ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM. Visually inspect hoses and have them replaced if they are cracked, swollen or deteriorated. Inspect all pipes, fittings and clamps. To help ensure proper operation, a pressure test of the cooling system and pressure cap and cleaning the outside of the radiator and air conditioning condenser is recommended at least once a year.
11.INSPECT WIPER BLADES. Visually inspect wiper blades for wear or cracking. Replace blade inserts that appear worn or damaged or that streak or miss areas of the windshield.
12.INSPECT RESTRAINT SYSTEM COMPONENTS. Make sure the safety belt reminder light and all your belts, buckles, latch plates, retractors and anchorages are working properly. Look for any other loose or damaged safety belt system parts. If you see anything that might keep a safety belt system from doing its job, have it repaired. Have any torn or frayed safety belts replaced. Also look for any opened or broken air bag coverings, and have them repaired or replaced. (The air bag system does not need regular maintenance.)
13.LUBRICATE BODY COMPONENTS. Lubricate all key lock cylinders, hood latch assembly, secondary latch, pivots, spring anchor, release pawl, rear compartment hinges, outer liftgate handle pivot points, rear door detent link, roller mechanism, liftgate handle pivot points, latch bolt, fuel door hinge, cargo door hinge, locks and folding seat hardware. More frequent lubrication may be required when exposed to a corrosive environment. Applying silicone grease on weather-strips with a clean cloth will make them last longer, seal better and not stick or squeak.
14.CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL AND ADD FLUID AS NEEDED.

INDICATOR BASED VS. NORMAL/SEVERE SERVICE
"Normal/Severe Service" (Mileage Intervals) is for quick reference only.

Mileage based service information found under "Normal or Severe Service" is provided to help repair facilities quickly determine the necessary work for each normally scheduled maintenance interval. They are based on the manufactures recommended "average" mileage for each item. However, this vehicle is equipped with an "Indicator Based Service". The system takes into consideration actual driving conditions which either extend or shorten the mileage interval between the normally scheduled maintenance intervals. This system alerts the driver by an indicator in the instrument cluster the "Service" is due. The driver then would normally make an appointment for the necessary work to be completed as per the "Indicator Based Service" requirements.
If confusion arises over when and what would be done for a particular maintenance schedule interval, the repair facility should refer to the "Indicator Based Service" information for complete instruction on how to use the system.