Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

CHANGE OUT MY EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES ON MY 2005 CHEVY SILVERADO?

HOW DO I CHANGE OUT MY EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES ON MY 2005 CHEVY SILVERADO?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Door Outside Handle Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the trim panel.
  2. Remove the water deflector.
    Object Number: 348458  Size: SH

3. Remove the outside handle rod from the rod clip.
    Object Number: 348455  Size: SH

4. Remove the lock cylinder rod from the rod clip.
  5. Apply masking tape across the door handle on the outside of the door to secure handle while removing the nuts.
  6. Remove the outside handle mounting nuts.
    Object Number: 373162  Size: SH

7. Remove the rubber cover in order to gain access to the outboard nut.
  8. Remove the door lock cylinder from the outside handle housing.
    Object Number: 348457  Size: SH

9. Remove the handle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 348457  Size: SH

1. Install the handle to the vehicle.
  2. If the lock cylinder is a replacement, apply a coating of GM P/N 12345120 or Canadian P/N 726548 or a similar lubricant to the inside of the lock case and the cylinder keyway.
  3. Install the door lock cylinder to the outside handle housing.

In order to code a new lock cylinder.

Object Number: 348455  Size: SH

4. Install the lock cylinder clip to the lock cylinder rod.
    Object Number: 348458  Size: SH

5. Install the handle rod to the handle assembly clip.
  6. Remove masking tape from door handle.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

7. Install the outside handle mounting nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Object Number: 373162  Size: SH

8. Install the rubber cover.
  9. Install the water deflector.
  10. Install the trim panel.

Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do you take off the door panel? I've done this before with previous vehicles and they never seem to go back on right. Is the panel held on with those plastic clips that once you pull them out they never really work right?
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

This panel lifts UP to remove, it has fingers that slide into the door skin. DO not pull on it like the old style.

Upper Extension Trim Panel Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Open the front door.
    Object Number: 348506  Size: SH
  2. Removal Procedure

1. Insert a flat-bladed tool between the door handle bezel and the trim panel in order to release the handle bezel tab retainers.
      Object Number: 370110  Size: SH
    2. Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Remove the door handle bezel.
      2. Remove the door trim panel upper extension.
      3. Using a suitable flat-bladed tool, gently pry the manual lock lever from the door trim panel.
      4. Remove the push in fastener (3) at the front edge of the door trim.
      5. Remove the cap (5) covering the screw on the rear edge of the trim panel.
      6. Remove the trim panel screws.
        Remove the screw (2) from within the opening where the manual door lock lever resides.
        Remove the screw (4) from the opening in front of the armrest.
        Remove the screw (6) from the rear edge of the trim panel.
        Remove the screw located beneath the map pocket, if equipped.
      7. Carefully slide the trim panel (1) up in order to release the retainers from the door.
      8. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Connect the electrical connectors.
      2. Carefully align the trim panel (1), to the door and slide the panel into the retainer slots in order to install the trim panel to the door.
      3. Install the trim panel screws (2,4,6).

Tighten
        Tighten the trim panel screws (2,4,6) to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

4. Install the screw cover (5).
      5. Install the push in fastener (3).
      6. Install the manual lock lever to the trim panel.
        6.1. Align the manual lock lever to the opening in the door trim panel.
        6.2. Push inward until the manual lock lever is fully seated into the trim panel.
      7. Install the door trim panel upper extension.
      8. Install the door handle bezel.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
      2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD