Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2000 Chevrolet Blazer: replace the front door hinges & pins

Customer Question

How to replace the front door hinges & pins on a 2000 Chevrolet
Blazer?
any helpful tips or a web-site that shows a picture of how is comes apart?

Please email me aXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

If the door has power windows and locks, you can still move the door far enough to do the job without unhooking the electrical on it. I use a floor jack with rags on it, to support the door and have someone hold it for me. Just pay attention to which direction the pins go in, up or down.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: A spring compressor tool must be used to remove the springs when working on the doors/hinges

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded view of the door hinge pins

The following procedure requires the use of a door hinge spring compressor such as J-36604-A or equivalent.

1. If equipped with power door components, perform the following procedures:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Check for access to the wiring by removing the cowl side vent cover. If access is possible, remove the receptacles from the wiring harness, then remove the retainer from the wiring harness grommet. Remove the rubber conduit from the door pillar by pushing it from the vent cover side.

3. If access is not possible, remove the door trim panel, then unplug the electrical harness connector from the power door lock motor and/or the power window regulator. Remove the harness from the door.

2. If available, apply cloth-backed tape to the door and body pillar for protection.

1. Using a door hinge spring compressor such as No. J-36604-A or equivalent, compress the door hinge spring and remove it.

2. To remove the door hinge pin clips, spread the clips and move them above the recess on the pin; when the pin is removed, the clip will ride on the pin and fall free of it.

1. Using a soft-head hammer and a pair of locking pliers, remove the lower pin from the door hinge; then, temporarily install a bolt (in the lower pin hole) to hold the door in place until the upper hinge pin is removed.

2. Remove the upper door hinge pin and support the door, then remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin hole and remove the door from the vehicle.

To install:

1. To install the door, position it on the hinges and insert a bolt through the lower hinge pin hole.

2. Using a new hinge pin clip, install the upper hinge pin.

3. Remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin hole. Using a new hinge pin, install it into the lower hinge pin holes.

4. Compress the door hinge spring and install it into the door hinge using the door hinge spring compressor tool.

5. If equipped with power door components, re-engage the wiring and install the trim panel or pieces, then connect the negative battery cable.

j