BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Trailblazer differential R & R

What is the easiest way to remove & replace a front differential in a 2003 Trailblazer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Hello Cheryl Finely, there really are no tricks to replacing this part. Some of the suspension needs to be removed to remove the axles. Also the rack and pinion will need to be removed. There are basically a lot of parts to remove and replace. It takes an experienced mechanic about 4 hours to do the job. If you need more information just let me know.
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What are the parts that need to come out
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
The main parts are the skid plates, the axles and the rack and pinion. Would you like a detailed set of instructions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes please send me a detailed set of instructions

Thank you
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.

See if these help you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Differential Carrier Assembly Replacement (4.2L In-Line Six Cylinder)

Removal Procedure

Remove the front tires and wheels.

graphic

1. Remove the engine protection shield.
  2. Drain the engine of oil.
  3. Drain the front drive axle.
  4. Remove the front propeller shaft from the front axle.
  5. Wrap the bearing caps with tape in order to prevent the loss of the roller bearings.

graphic

Remove the ABS wiring harness from the retainers

graphic

• Remove the brake hose retaining bolts.
  • Remove the front drive axle vent hose
  •  

graphic

• Remove the left and right upper ball pinch bolt and nut.
  • Remove the left and right upper shock module retaining nuts

graphic

• Remove the front stabilizer bar links from the frame.
  • Remove the shock module from the frame.
  • Remove the steering knuckle from the upper control arm.
  • Remove the left and right front wheel drive shafts from the front drive axle
  •  

graphic

Relocate and secure the left and right front wheel drive shafts to the frame

graphic

Using mechanics wire or hook, support the front shock modules and steering knuckle

graphic

• Remove the power steering gear assembly.
  •  

graphic

Remove the inner shaft from the front drive axle

graphic

1. Remove the front drive axle from the oil pan.
    2. Secure the front drive axle to the frame.
    3. Remove the oil pan.
    4. graphic

Remove the front drive axle from the vehicle

graphic